Equity Research Analyst
- Isthmus Partners, LLC
- US - WI - Madison
- Salary plus bonus and excellent benefits including 401k match and profit sharing
- Jan 25, 2023
- Mar 26, 2023
- Job Function
- Equities Research: Buy Side
- Industry Sector
- Asset Management
- CFA Charterholder, Passed CFA Level I, Passed CFA Level II, Passed CFA Level III (Charter Pending)
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Isthmus Partners, LLC
1 S. Pinckney Street, Suite 818
Madison, WI 53703
Isthmus Partners serves families, individuals and institutions. We are a trusted partner in planning, executing and managing investments with disciplined methodologies and proprietary processes that focus on high quality domestic equity management using independent valuation techniques.
Our client relationships are guided by honesty, transparency, and performance. To align client goals with customized strategies, we focus on long-term growth, capital preservation and building portfolios designed to meet investment objectives.
Our team is experienced serving both high net worth individuals and institutional clients, and our approach fully utilizes our diverse expertise and insight within a collaborative investment model.
As investment managers, we never take for granted the charge of acting as a fiduciary with discretion. We take this assignment seriously and wake up every day aiming to do a little better in helping our clients reach their goals.
Job Title: Equity Research Analyst
Reports to: Chief Equity Strategist
Location: Madison, WI
Primarily responsible for monitoring owned securities and sourcing new ideas for the firm’s Large Cap Core (LCCE), Small-Mid Cap Core (SMCCE) and Small Cap Core (SCCE) Equity strategies. As a Core manager, we build domestic equity portfolios of high-quality securities whose prices are not fully appreciated by investors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Run backtesting models that drive the sector screens.
- Create, run and maintain sector screens and watchlists to facilitate the generation of new ideas.
- Identify potentially attractive securities from screens and perform due diligence, which includes:
- A surface review of the security to determine its qualitative attractiveness and the potential existence of value creating catalysts.
- An initial discounted cash flow model of the company for valuation purposes.
- A deep review including SEC filings, the company’s investor relations materials, a call with management, and further refinement of the valuation model.
- A written report.
- Monitor existing holdings in the LCCE, SMCCE and SCCE strategies, which includes:
- Review SEC filings.
- Review company news flow.
- Read each quarterly financial release and the accompanying earnings conference call transcript. and create a brief earnings summary report.
- Maintain a current valuation model for each owned security.
- Relay important news and significant price movement to the members of the Domestic Equity Investment Team.
- Other project work as required, which could include:
- Projects related to quarterly commentaries.
- Projects related to portfolio analysis work such as attribution, characteristics, etc.
- Projects related to researching potential new software tools.
- Projects related to Isthmus Insights whitepapers.
- Generalist experience covering multiple industries/sectors, including expertise in covering the financial services (banks, insurance companies, real estate investment trusts and other financials) and energy sectors.
- Heightened willingness to research opportunities in unfamiliar industries/sectors to source new ideas.
- Ability to produce accurate work in a timely fashion under a deadline-driven structure.
- Extensive experience conducting discounted cash flow analyses.
- Ability to develop, advance and document cogent investment theses in the form of efficiently- written company reports.
- Ability to advance workflow at a reasonable pace in connection with a rapidly changing marketplace, balancing the need for thoroughness and speed of execution.
- Ability to develop and cultivate relationships across all staff levels.
- Attention to detail, excellent organization and time management skills, proven drive to consistently follow through.
- Ability to listen well with strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Process-driven and results-oriented - working well independently and collaboratively with others.
- Creative problem solver with an ability to anticipate needs and actively participate in a continuous improvement culture.
- Strong spreadsheet skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance with a strong and demonstrated accounting background.
- Five to ten years equity research experience.
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) or CFA candidate.
- Knowledge of FactSet Research Systems.
Interested candidates should submit both a cover letter and resume through CFA website.
Victor Rodriguez, Chief Operating Officer
All information will be held in confidence.