Symbiotics Group is the leading market access platform for impact investing, dedicated to private markets in emerging and frontier economies. The group offers market research, investment advisory, asset management and capacity building services. The firm has assets under management of close to USD 3 billion. Symbiotics currently employs more than 180 people and is headquartered in Geneva, with further offices in Amsterdam, Cape Town, London, Mexico City, New Delhi, Paris, Singapore, Yerevan and Zurich.
Symbiotics Asset Management is part of the Symbiotics Group and offers tailored sustainable portfolio management services for investors. Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) investments are at the heart of what we do, and all our funds are classified as "Article 9" under the framework of the European regulation SFDR, the highest level of ESG disclosure.
We invest in underserved communities and the environment, predominantly in Emerging and Frontier economies, enabling investors to benefit from the structural growth opportunity in those regions. Our investments encompass broad range of impact themes, including financial inclusion, gender equality, small business finance, climate change, agriculture, health and education.
Many clients choose to work with us for the quality and resilience of our more that 15-year track record and our unrivalled expertise in unhedged local currency investments. We are a fast-growing, market-leading company, offering a dynamic work environment in the growing impact investment space. Our people are our biggest competitive advantage.
We believe that in order to recruit the best professionals all applications must be reviewed equally. For this reason, we will not require personal data such as photos, date of birth or gender to be included on CV application.Who we are looking for
We are looking for a Legal & Compliance Manager who will monitor and manage the compliance and regulatory matters within the Company.
The role is based in our Head office in Geneva, with reporting line to the Chief Risk & Compliance Officer.About the Job
- Legal advice to the asset management activities of the Company
- Collaborate to the concept design to the inception of the investment vehicles and supporting existing investment funds in governance, corporate and administrative matters
- Monitor the development of the company's various regulatory frameworks and participate to compliance-driven changes within the company
- Contract negotiation and review (IMA, NDA, service agreements, investment-related documentation, investor-related documentation)
- Review, coordination and assistance with respect to offering/regulatory and marketing literature for both liquid and illiquid alternative products
- Oversee the compliance function of the Company by providing support to all Divisions, the company's managed investment funds as well as its subsidiaries
- Ensure compliance with LBA, OBA-FINMA regulations by supervising AML and KYC related activities of the company, both on the investors and investees' sides
- Maintain the company's policy register by ensuring continuous compliance of policies with the various regulatory frameworks and alignment with the company's organization and systems
- Manage relationship with regulators and prudential auditors
- Train the company's collaborators on compliance-related topics and increase compliance awareness across the Company
Professional experience :
- Bachelor or Master Degree in Law or Finance or equivalent qualification
- Minimum 10 years of legal or compliance experience in Asset Management/fund industry, ideally in impact investing
- Fluent in English and French
- Excellent knowledge of financial regulations
- Reliable, pro-active, self-starter, diligent
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Problem solving and risk management capacity
- Team player, flexibility
- Strong drive and pro-active attitude
- Proven experience in managing external service providers and maintaining project costs
- High integrity, independent and individually motivated
What makes us different?
- The chance to contribute to improving the lives of people in emerging and frontier countries, to work towards supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals
- A flexible work environment with colleagues from 41 countries
- The opportunity to become part of a growing business that pushes you to excel every day while having a positive impact on others