The Role Responsibilities
- A strong strategic communicator able to perform both advisory and advocacy roles, support the development and execution of strategic communications strategies for Transformation, Technology and Operations (TTO), and with particular focus in internal communications and people engagement.
- In addition to supporting the Global Head, Communications, TTO, Change and Innovation and Head, Communications, TTO, this role will manage, develop, and implement TTO and bank-wide internal/employee engagement and communications strategies, channels and messaging which deliver relevant and engaging information to colleagues; support TTO/Bank's priorities; and uphold and reinforce the Group's values and culture. This role will also be the communications partner to the TTO HR community, as well as be responsible for providing direction, and advice to the TTO Engagement Specialists that sit within the function.
- Support the creation and delivery of internal communications strategies that drive the identity, culture, brand promise and strategic intent of the TTO function aligned to the Bank's growth aspirations.
- Provide strategic and tactical communications advice and support to the Global Head, Communications, TTO & Change and Head to the of Communications, TTO as well as our senior leadership in TTO.
- Partner with other Corporate Affairs, Brand and Marketing (CABM) teams as appropriate to leverage functional expertise and spokespeople to drive internal storytelling that promotes TTO strategy and expertise. These activities could extend to content creation for media relations, social media and thought leadership/executive engagement.
- Synthesise themes and issues from the external environment and surface risks and opportunities to stakeholders across the Bank and effectively manage crisis/issues as a team player.
- Drive cross-CABM work to further CABM's strategic initiatives and find opportunities to promote and build awareness of our TTO strategic priorities.
- Practice effective risk management, escalating issues when needed.
- Be a proactive and 'value-add' member of the People & Culture Communications team and the CABM function.
- Drive the strategic planning, development, and implementation of our internal and people strategy communications, including development of content and narrative in support of the TTO's strategic and transformation agenda in collaboration with the Head, Communications, TTO.
- As point of contact for HR, advice and guide on the development of internal communications that reinforce the employee value proposition that supports One TTO and Strategy 25 approach, and partner with the employer brand team in HR as needed to develop targeted communications strategies to promote our employer brand to support function-specific recruiting needs.
- Partner with content creation teams to create group-level storytelling and news content from TTO as appropriate, in line with content priorities to drive our transformation.
- Show creativity and adopt innovative approaches in engaging our colleagues, considering our transformation agenda as well championing our D&I and Sustainability agenda in TTO.
- Ensure there is coherence and consistency across programmes/campaigns with a focus on continuous improvement through measurement and data analysis.
- Work with the TTO communications/CABM network of partners to develop and determine effective communications approaches and develop two-way communications for real-time feedback.
- Provide direction, and advice to the TTO Engagement Specialists that sit within the function
People & Talent
- Accountable to risk control owners and/or Group policy owners for the implementation of policies and control standards set by them, ensuring compliance, and operating within risk tolerance and risk appetite and building a culture of good conduct.
- Lead through example and build the appropriate culture and values. Set appropriate tone and expectations from the team and stakeholders.
- Ensure selected team members have strong verbal and writing skills.
- Ensure the provision of ongoing training and development of people and ensure that holders of all critical functions are suitably skilled and qualified for their roles ensuring that they have effective supervision in place to mitigate any risks.
- Employ, engage and retain high quality people, with succession planning for critical roles.
- Lead through example and build the appropriate culture and values. Set appropriate tone and expectations from the team and work in collaboration with risk and control partners.
- Identify, report, and escalate issues, risks, business intelligence to leadership.
Regulatory & Business Conduct
- Ensure that tone of voice, messaging, and behaviours are aligned with the corporate narrative when we engage and communicate internally and externally.
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank's Conduct Principles. Fair Outcomes for Clients, Effective Financial Markets, Financial Crime Compliance, The Right Environment.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate, and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- TTO MT
- TTO COO Office
- TTO Priority Leads and teams
- TTO HR and OD teams
- TTO Communications Squad
- Corporate Affairs, Brand & Marketing
- Function and Group employees
Our Ideal Candidate
- Serve on People & Culture Communications and CABM working groups and committees as needed.
- Take on special assignments to support CABM and People & Culture Communications priorities as needed.
Role Specific Technical Competencies
- We're seeking a dynamic and resourceful self-starter who can hit the ground running and be a change agent.
- 8+ years of solid internal/change communications experience within a major corporate.
- Experience in a financial institution or global corporation of setting and delivering proactive communications strategies.
- A track record in creating and developing content to support or enhance a strategy/narrative.
- Understanding of internal and external content strategies and communications channels, including social media channels.
- Must demonstrate creativity and a passion for innovation in your work, with a thorough knowledge of the latest communications best practice and trends.
- Data-driven approach to driving business decisions.
- A strong drive to succeed and ability to execute tactically.
- Strong emphasis on multi-tasking and ability to prioritize workload while managing multiple stakeholders.
- Understanding/experience in agile ways of working is a plus.
- Effective spoken and written capabilities, with a passion for storytelling.
- The ability to identify potential reputation or culture risk from a function's strategies, programs, or communications, and to raise these concerns effectively.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Flexibility to work in high-pressure environments.
- Ability to develop effective and collaborative working relationships.
- Experience managing multiple stakeholders, including senior management and third-party vendors, across multiple locations.
- Experience of dealing with the media is a bonus, as is issues management.
About Standard Chartered
- Effective Communications
- Establishing and Maintaining Trust
- Written Communications
- Data Gathering and Analysis
- Business Ethics
- Planning: Tactical, Strategic
- Organizational Communications
- Manage Change
We're an international bank, nimble enough to act, big enough for impact. For more than 160 years, we've worked to make a positive difference for our clients, communities, and each other. We question the status quo, love a challenge and enjoy finding new opportunities to grow and do better than before. If you're looking for a career with purpose and you want to work for a bank making a difference, we want to hear from you. You can count on us to celebrate your unique talents. And we can't wait to see the talents you can bring us.
Our purpose, to drive commerce and prosperity through our unique diversity, together with our brand promise, to be here for good are achieved by how we each live our valued behaviours. When you work with us, you'll see how we value difference and advocate inclusion. Together we:
In line with our Fair Pay Charter,
- Do the right thing and are assertive, challenge one another, and live with integrity, while putting the client at the heart of what we do
- Never settle, continuously striving to improve and innovate, keeping things simple and learning from doing well, and not so well
- Be better together, we can be ourselves, be inclusive, see more good in others, and work collectively to build for the long term
we offer a competitive salary and benefits to support your mental, physical, financial and social wellbeing.
Recruitment assessments -
- Core bank funding for retirement savings, medical and life insurance, with flexible and voluntary benefits available in some locations
- Time-off including annual, parental/maternity (20 weeks), sabbatical (12 weeks maximum) and volunteering leave (3 days), along with minimum global standards for annual and public holiday, which is combined to 30 days minimum
- Flexible working options based around home and office locations, with flexible working patterns
- Proactive wellbeing support through Unmind, a market-leading digital wellbeing platform, development courses for resilience and other human skills, global Employee Assistance Programme, sick leave, mental health first-aiders and all sorts of self-help toolkits
- A continuous learning culture to support your growth, with opportunities to reskill and upskill and access to physical, virtual and digital learning
- Being part of an inclusive and values driven organisation, one that embraces and celebrates our unique diversity, across our teams, business functions and geographies - everyone feels respected and can realise their full potential.
some of our roles use assessments to help us understand how suitable you are for the role you've applied to. If you are invited to take an assessment, this is great news. It means your application has progressed to an important stage of our recruitment process.
Visit our careers website www.sc.com/careers