The Role Responsibilities
The purpose of this role is to own and drive the target Functions Data and Reporting Architecture for all Group Functions domains and look at data architecture end to end within Functions, including Application centric data ETL/processing and Data Platforms/Warehouse/Marts/Lake, upstream sourcing and downstream consumption. This will then help to drive standardisation and consistency across the Functions domains, with a view of landscape simplification and cost efficiencies. Strategy
- Own and drive the overall target Functions Data and Reporting Architecture. Key areas include the technology stack to be used, data principles, best practices and standards, streamline and simplify data architecture landscape through elimination of duplicated data stores, enhance governance where applicable.
- Provide architecture direction, guiding principles, guardrails and roadmaps to ensure that the target Functions Data and Reporting Architecture are aligned to the wider Group Architecture Strategy, Policy and Standards.
- Drive architecture standards for Data Governance and Management (Data Quality, Lineage, Privacy, Data Sovereignty, Data Discoverability).
- Collaborate with the wider architecture community across SCB, represent Functions in the wider technology organisation on data topics.
- Collaborate with the technology teams from the various Global Functions domains to define the target architecture and any transition states if necessary. Manage and track technical debt where applicable.
- Work with Domain and Solution Architects, to review and ensure solutions/projects are aligned to the target Functions Data and Reporting Architecture. Promote streamlined approaches across the different Functions domains, where applicable.
- Collaborate with Domain and Solution Architects to identify and recommend data patterns and best practices, product evaluations and/or Proof of Concepts for new technologies where applicable.
- Optimize business alignment and maximize value on investments by aligning technology decisions with business imperatives leading to cost optimisation (cost avoidance & cost reduction), as well as ensuring fit for purpose platforms.
- Identify opportunities to establish common patterns across Group Functions to drive down the cost of change for our Businesses. This includes designing for change and prioritising Agility and Adaptability.
- Contribute to BCBS by driving data architecture in alignment with regulatory and strategic priorities.
- Collaborate with CDO and Business domain data architects to drive data model convergence, data management governance and to drive towards modern data architecture standards, e.g. data mesh.
- Improve cost efficiency - drive efficiency by identifying opportunities to rationalise to a fewer best of breed platforms which provides strategic business capability and aggressively decommission redundant applications.
- Contribute to investment planning/prioritisation with the businesses and T&I.
- Driving and enable cloud adoption and modernisation of technology landscape across Group Functions whilst balancing regulatory requirements like data sovereignty and cloud approvals and data security.
People & Talent
- Establish and maintain effective data governance processes to ensure that they are aligned with the Group's data governance standards and processes.
- Facilitate cloud governance & approvals from the data perspective.
- Industrialise data engineering best practices to enhance software quality, embedding resiliency in system performance.
- As a senior member of the Functions Architecture team, lead through example and build the appropriate culture and values.
- Thought leadership and be an evangelist on key data-related aspects for Cloud, Architecture and Engineering.
- Be a mentor or coach to other members of the team, as appropriate.
- Proactive in seeking regular assurance that function is performing to an acceptable risk and control standards.
- Include internal controls, legal and regulatory requirements in the processes supporting the function.
- Act quickly and decisively when any risk and control weakness become apparent and ensure they are addressed within an appropriate timeframe and, if necessary, escalated through the relevant committees.
- Balance business performance delivery and cost management with risk and control matters to ensure that it does not materially threaten the Group, remaining within risk appetite.
- Work in collaboration with risk and control teams.
Regulatory & Business Conduct
- Be a part of domain architecture governance forums to actively be aware of and govern emerging data architecture decisions, in alignment with Functions and wider Enterprise architecture.
- Accountable for governance of all data-related tech and architecture decisions and architecture directions across Group Functions as part of the relevant Technology Councils.
- Represent Group Functions at the relevant Group level Data Governance Forums.
- Ensure compliance with all salient SCB data governance frameworks where there are direct touchpoints with them or any subsequent downstream influence for Group Functions.
- Ensure compliance with the highest standards of regulatory and business conduct and compliance practices as defined by internal and external requirements. This includes compliance with local banking laws, anti-money laundering, Open Banking, and Data Protection regulations and guidelines.
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Lead the Functions TTO teams to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank's Conduct Principles. Fair Outcomes for Clients, Effective Financial Markets, Financial Crime Compliance, The Right Environment.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Functions COOs
- Functions TTO MT
- TSA MT
- Solution Architects and Functions Technology Domain Heads
Our Ideal Candidate
- Embrace and practise SCB's brand promise of Here for Good and corporate values.
- Perform other responsibilities assigned under Group, Country, Business or Functional policies and procedures.
- Responsible for building a culture of good conduct.
Role Specific Technical Competence
- This role requires 15 years of relevant experience, covering the design and governance of architecture, with 10 years in a hands-on role for data and/or analytics/big data domains in the Finance sector. Experience in large, complex organisations, ability to handle cultural diversity and managing senior stakeholders is essential to this role.
- Significant experience to BigData technologies like Cloudera/Hadoop suites, Spark, Talend etc and internal build at major banks or FS institutions is essential.
About Standard Chartered
- Data Architecture
- IT Architecture
- IT Governance
- Big Data Management and Analytics
- Data Science
- Information Management
- Emerging Technologies
- Cloud Computing Architecture
We're an international bank, nimble enough to act, big enough for impact. For more than 160 years, we've worked to make a positive difference for our clients, communities, and each other. We question the status quo, love a challenge and enjoy finding new opportunities to grow and do better than before. If you're looking for a career with purpose and you want to work for a bank making a difference, we want to hear from you. You can count on us to celebrate your unique talents. And we can't wait to see the talents you can bring us.
Our purpose, to drive commerce and prosperity through our unique diversity, together with our brand promise, to be here for good are achieved by how we each live our valued behaviours. When you work with us, you'll see how we value difference and advocate inclusion. Together we:
In line with our Fair Pay Charter,
- Do the right thing and are assertive, challenge one another, and live with integrity, while putting the client at the heart of what we do
- Never settle, continuously striving to improve and innovate, keeping things simple and learning from doing well, and not so well
- Be better together, we can be ourselves, be inclusive, see more good in others, and work collectively to build for the long term
we offer a competitive salary and benefits to support your mental, physical, financial and social wellbeing.
Recruitment assessments -
- Core bank funding for retirement savings, medical and life insurance, with flexible and voluntary benefits available in some locations
- Time-off including annual, parental/maternity (20 weeks), sabbatical (12 weeks maximum) and volunteering leave (3 days), along with minimum global standards for annual and public holiday, which is combined to 30 days minimum
- Flexible working options based around home and office locations, with flexible working patterns
- Proactive wellbeing support through Unmind, a market-leading digital wellbeing platform, development courses for resilience and other human skills, global Employee Assistance Programme, sick leave, mental health first-aiders and all sorts of self-help toolkits
- A continuous learning culture to support your growth, with opportunities to reskill and upskill and access to physical, virtual and digital learning
- Being part of an inclusive and values driven organisation, one that embraces and celebrates our unique diversity, across our teams, business functions and geographies - everyone feels respected and can realise their full potential.
some of our roles use assessments to help us understand how suitable you are for the role you've applied to. If you are invited to take an assessment, this is great news. It means your application has progressed to an important stage of our recruitment process.
Visit our careers website www.sc.com/careers