- Berwind Corporation
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. Generous benefits package.
- Jan 05, 2023
- Mar 06, 2023
- Job Function
- Portfolio Management: Alternatives
- Industry Sector
- Asset Management
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Position Title: Investment Associate
Established in 1886, Berwind Corporation is a family-owned investment management company with a long history of financial stability and consistent growth in revenue and profitability. Representing several billion dollars in enterprise value, Berwind's six operating companies serve a number of industries; including pharmaceutical, specialty chemical, medical packaging, automotive, life sciences, energy, general industrial, and natural resources. A significant portion of Berwind's revenue is derived internationally and Berwind has an aggressive acquisition program to reinvest its strong annual operating cash flows in future growth opportunities. Berwind, via its subsidiary Berwind Investments, also manages a portfolio of venture capital and private equity investments with the goal of generating attractive returns on investment while also broadening its exposure to different end markets (e.g. technology, biotech, fintech).
Berwind Investments manages a portfolio of limited partnership interests. The portfolio is allocated globally across a range of asset classes and strategies including venture capital, growth equity and buyout. These investments are implemented through long-term partnerships with world-class external fund managers.
Berwind Corporation is headquartered in Philadelphia and consists of a small team of highly professional technical experts that provides the group of companies Legal, Finance/Accounting, Taxation, Audit, Risk Management, Corporate Development and HR support.
Berwind is committed to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and to building teams that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
The Investment Associate position is an opportunity to work as an integral member of a small, flat team, interfacing directly with senior management to research and evaluate investment opportunities. This position will report directly to the Managing Director of Alternative Investments.
• Assist in the identification, evaluation, selection, and monitoring of investment
• Participate in manager meetings and diligence sessions
• Draft reports detailing investment recommendations and actions.
• Assist in preparing and presenting materials for the Investment Committee, including
investment recommendations, performance reporting and portfolio exposure analyses
• Perform qualitative and quantitative analysis to evaluate and compare opportunities,
risks, and performance of current and potential investments.
• Analyze and monitor existing portfolio holdings, perform regular manager reviews, and
assist in portfolio strategic reviews
• Independently research projects related to portfolio management and new investment
• Strong communication skills (written and verbal) and excellent attention to detail
• Strong analytical ability and research skills.
• Proficiency with quantitative tools (e.g., Excel,).
• Strong time management skills and the ability to handle multiple projects and priorities.
• Ability to work independently and contribute to a small, dynamic team.
• High personal integrity and absolute discretion in handling confidential business information.
• Ability to interact with business executives and appropriately represent Berwind Investments in business social situations.
• Strong interest in investment management, for example, through enrollment in the CFA program, internships, projects, prior work experience, or personal investing.
• Demonstrated interest in investing and global markets with a high level of curiosity.
• Willingness to travel both domestically and internationally to evaluate investment opportunities and attend industry conferences.
• Preferably 2-6 years of professional work experience.
• Undergraduate degree (degree in finance, economics, math, data/quantitative
analysis, or engineering disciplines preferred).
• Ideal candidates will have CFA certification or be working towards a CFA certification.
What We Offer:
• Culture of trust, empowerment and constructive feedback
• Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience
• Generous benefits package
• Flexible work arrangements including hybrid work from home
• Position will be based in Philadelphia at Berwind’s new center city FMC Tower
corporate offices with state-of-the-art technology and safety, other office and building amenities (employer contribution for gym membership, rooftop terrace etc.)
• Diverse employee team activities and celebrations (post pandemic); wellbeing/health offerings
• On-boarding plan, mentoring and personal development opportunities and a team of
Please submit your cover letter and resume to:
Alicia Renee Strassel
Corporate Executive Administrator
Direct Dial: 215-606-1864