Description About this role
BlackRock is one of the world's preeminent asset management firms and a premier provider of global investment management, risk management and advisory services to institutional, intermediary and individual investors around the world. BlackRock offers a range of solutions - from rigorous fundamental and quantitative active management approaches aimed at maximizing outperformance to highly efficient indexing strategies designed to gain broad exposure to the world's capital markets. Our clients can access our investment solutions through a variety of product structures, including individual and institutional separate accounts, mutual funds and other pooled investment vehicles, and the industry-leading iShares® ETFs. Business Unit Overview:
BlackRock EMEA Finance consists of Finance professionals in disciplines such as Financial Planning and Analysis, Treasury, Tax, Regulatory Reporting, Accounting Operations and Corporate Accounting. This role forms part of the Edinburgh based Controllers Group and sits within the Corporate Sustainability Reporting team. Corporate Sustainability Reporting is a new team with responsibility for mandatory sustainability reporting impacting BlackRock's corporate entities.
In its day-to-day activities the Edinburgh based team has significant interaction with the US based Corporate Sustainability team which has responsibility for, amongst other things, accelerating the firm's environmental sustainability efforts. The team also offers excellent opportunities to interact with a broad array of BlackRock teams, including: the Global Public Policy Group, BlackRock Platform Innovation, Risk and Quantitative Analysis, Legal and Compliance, Governance and Financial and Prudential Reporting, as well as the other global Finance teams. Purpose/Background:
A senior accountant/sustainability specialist is required to join the Corporate Sustainability Reporting team based in Edinburgh. The team currently comprises 1 member of staff, the Director, leading the team. The team brings new responsibilities to finance and has responsibility for sustainability disclosures impacting BlackRock at the corporate entity level whilst also establishing a control and governance framework and identifying and impact assessing upcoming regulations. Key Responsibilities:
- Maintaining compliance with entity level sustainability reporting requirements, including working with internal teams to draft reporting, establishing appropriate governance structures to obtain approval and sign off and creating and owning process documentation for each regulation.
- Performing readiness for upcoming sustainability reporting requirements, including monitoring SEC, ISSB and EFRAG advancements.
- Partnering with Financial Controls Reporting / Internal Audit / External Auditors to build out controls' framework for sustainability reporting and implementing controls in AuditBoard
- Preparing materials for presentation at key committees such as Corporate Sustainability Disclosure Committee, Board/Audit Committees, Risk/Regulatory oversight committees etc.
- Preparing materials and participating in presentations to further educate internal stakeholders on the mandatory sustainability reporting agenda and value prospect of team
- Main contact for internal and external audit for BlackRock corporate sustainability mandatory reporting
- Establishing robust 'audit-ready' support for corporate sustainability disclosures
- Preparing team newsletter
- Supporting stakeholder queries directed to the team
- Contributing to team meetings and enhancing team governance
- Other BAU activities, ad hoc tasks and project work as required
This position will allow the individual to become involved in a new and exciting area of corporate reporting with excellent opportunities for expanding their network out with finance. Corporate Sustainability Reporting is a small team so there will be many opportunities to get involved in all aspects of the team's output. The role will also offer insight into Green House Gas reporting protocols and how sustainability is impacting BlackRock beyond finance. Experience/Competencies:
As this is an emerging area of Corporate Reporting, some competencies are required whilst others would be advantageous but are not prohibitive to being successful in the role.
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities in a rapidly evolving reporting environment
- Excellent PowerPoint skills and strong working knowledge of Microsoft Excel/Office
- Ability to clearly and confidently communicate in verbal and written form with colleagues of different levels.
- Strong understanding of robust reporting controls including design and implementation
- Experience in analyzing and impact assessing principles-based standards/regulations
- Prior experience/strong interest in sustainability reporting
- Experience/understanding of Green House Gas protocol
- Experience in reporting of non-financial data
- CA/ACA qualified or equivalent qualification required (desirable not essential)
- 7 years plus of accounting experience (Ideally Financial Services)
- Organized and methodical, possessing attention to detail, good analytical skills and the ability to work to tight deadlines
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of employee benefits including: retirement investment and tools designed to help you in building a sound financial future; access to education reimbursement; comprehensive resources to support your physical health and emotional well-being; family support programs; and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. Our hybrid work model
BlackRock's current hybrid work model is designed to enable in-person connections and collaboration that is core to our culture, while supporting increased flexibility for all employees. In line with local health guidance and regulations, employees are required to work at least 3 days in the office each week, with the flexibility to work from home up to 2 days a week. Some business groups may require more time in the office due to their roles and responsibilities. The health, safety and well-being of our people will always be our top priorities; we will continue to monitor local conditions and health advisories in making decisions about our work environments. About BlackRock
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children's educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment - the one we make in our employees. It's why we're dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit careers.blackrock.com | www.blackrock.com/corporate | Instagram: @blackrock | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to age, disability, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation and other protected characteristics at law.