Description About this role Job Purpose/Background:
The role is to provide legal support in the EMEA (Europe, Middle East & Africa) region as part of BlackRock's Public Funds team. The focus of this role will be in support of a wide range of UCITS and AIFs across Europe, including the iShares® index business, as well as their marketing, distribution, partnership arrangements and eco-system. The role will also include advising on the structuring of client solutions using such products as building blocks and implementation of regulatory developments for the business areas supported. General commercial legal work and specific project work across business areas will also be involved. The candidate will work in a team of ~25 lawyers in London, Edinburgh and Dublin who form the Funds Legal Team within the broader EMEA Legal & Compliance department (which comprises qualified lawyers, paralegals, compliance professionals and administrative staff).
The individual will be expected to work with a high degree of autonomy and, once familiar with the BlackRock businesses' structures, operating models and documentation, to work with minimum levels of supervision/review of work produced. The candidate will be expected to take on a complete workload as soon as possible after joining and partner closely with the relevant businesses they support.
Experience in at least some of the areas outlined below would be helpful, although candidates with other applicable expertise and experience will be considered. Key Responsibilities:
- Draft and negotiate fund documentation and service provider agreements for UCITS and non-UCITS funds (including AIFs) in Ireland, Luxembourg, the United Kingdom and the Netherlands;
- Advise on legal and regulatory issues concerning the establishment and distribution of UCITS funds, AIFs and debt products within EMEA;
- Identify, address and manage legal risk arising within the respective businesses supported, and BlackRock more generally;
- Provide proactive legal support to the EMEA businesses supported (including sales, marketing, product and strategy) and practical guidance concerning related activities outside the UK (including in the US, Asia and other regions working in conjunction with colleagues in such locations);
- Contractual negotiation and documentation, providing strategic advice on legal and regulatory parameters for European product launches and sales and marketing initiatives;
- Interpret regulations to help the businesses navigate the changing regulatory environment and implement new regulations;
- Liaison with external legal counsel where appropriate on areas of law that impact the business concerned;
- Assisting on ad hoc projects (EMEA or firm-wide);
- Identification, analysis, assessment and reporting of key legal risk areas pertaining to the funds and their distribution channels;
- Working closely with, and coordinating, other members of the EMEA and broader Global Legal and Compliance teams;
- Manage and document internal know-how and other material for ease of access by colleagues and successors;
- Develop and actively manage internal client relationships within the EMEA businesses supported, other internal stakeholders and with external advisors; and
- Report to the boards of relevant AIFM, UCITS Management Company or fund companies from time to time on specific initiatives requiring board approval.
- The candidate will gain extensive and significant knowledge and experience of a variety of product types across multiple jurisdictions, multiple business and other support areas, develop and enhance their skills in drafting, fund structuring, advising and stakeholder relationship management and work with a wide variety of subject matter experts in the businesses and other support functions in BlackRock.
- Solicitor / lawyer qualified in Scotland, England and Wales or other jurisdictions.
- Relevant post qualification experience gained either in-house in financial services and investment products in Europe or in medium/large private practice in financial services work and/or investment products.
- 4 to 10 years' relevant post qualification experience.
- Technical expertise and experience would be helpful in: MiFID (including inducements rules) and other similar regulations across EMEA, UCITS and AIF structuring and distribution, debt capital markets and/or EMIR.
- Motivated, resilient and enjoys challenges;
- Commercial outlook, personable, strong analytic skills and attention to detail;
- Persuasive and influential on a high-performing internal client base in the provision of legal advice;
- Ability to actively manage client expectations;
- Ability to clarify tasks and requirements, organise time and manage workload to ensure deadlines are met;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks concurrently;
- Ability to work autonomously and manage own work-load but escalate issues where necessary/appropriate;
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels of the firm in verbal and written form;
- Seeks to understand the businesses, products and processes which are supported;
- Develops solutions to problems, checking where appropriate with senior lawyers;
- Takes ownership of problems/requirements and ensures they are resolved to meet objectives; and
- Rejects shortcuts that could compromise quality of service and follows internal policies and procedures.
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of employee benefits including: retirement investment and tools designed to help you in building a sound financial future; access to education reimbursement; comprehensive resources to support your physical health and emotional well-being; family support programs; and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. Our hybrid work model
BlackRock's current hybrid work model is designed to enable in-person connections and collaboration that is core to our culture, while supporting increased flexibility for all employees. In line with local health guidance and regulations, employees are required to work at least 3 days in the office each week, with the flexibility to work from home up to 2 days a week. Some business groups may require more time in the office due to their roles and responsibilities. The health, safety and well-being of our people will always be our top priorities; we will continue to monitor local conditions and health advisories in making decisions about our work environments. About BlackRock
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children's educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment - the one we make in our employees. It's why we're dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit careers.blackrock.com | www.blackrock.com/corporate | Instagram: @blackrock | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to age, disability, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation and other protected characteristics at law.