State Street Global Advisors (SSGA), one of the industry's largest institutional asset managers, is the investment management arm of State Street Bank and Trust Company, a wholly owned subsidiary of State Street Corporation, a leading provider of financial services to institutional investors. The Portfolio Strategy and Business Management Team is responsible for a broad collection of activities required to successfully distribute and service our investment capabilities within the targeted channels, client types or geographies, as agreed in collaboration with the Global Distribution Team. Job Description:
This London-based, hybrid position will be a member of the Investment organization, reporting directly to the Global Head of Equity Index Portfolio Strategy, who works closely with the Chief Portfolio Strategist, GEBS CIO and regional Heads of Distribution. This client facing position will help support the firm's index equity efforts in the EMEA Institutional market. Responsibilities will include:
- Serve as an equity beta subject matter expert across both third party and propriety beta solutions offerings, which include ESG and smart beta/ factors, in addition to traditional beta exposures.
- Collaborate closely with EMEA Investment and Distribution teams to develop the "selling system" and agreed upon support levels depending upon business opportunities and priorities.
- Work with key stakeholders across various regions in EMEA on the product roadmap within the region, determining which capabilities should be prioritized and in what timeframe.
- Understand and drive team wide understanding of market and industry dynamics; the competitor landscape; forthcoming regulation on ESG; and what impact these dynamics should have on our products and client engagement strategy - both in the near and long term. Be able to articulate these dynamics, with internal stakeholders and external clients.
- Partner with research, strategy and portfolio management to drive the team's innovation agenda through a broad understanding of investment capabilities, client needs and competitor products.
- Meet with institutional and intermediary clients, prospects, and consultants to engage in detailed discussions about the firm's equity beta capabilities.
- Write effective thematic and market oriented thought leadership relevant to equity beta.
- Work closely with the GEBS Portfolio Strategy team on current and prospective client deliverables, and serve as a mentor/ role model to junior team members.
We are seeking forward-thinking, meticulous and knowledgeable individuals who are passionate about investment management and thrive in a team oriented, collaborative environment. Successful team members possess high-end interpersonal skills, cultural awareness, strong written and verbal communication capabilities and a deep understanding of equity beta and ESG.
The Portfolio Strategy and Business Management team focuses on six major objectives:
- Develop overall positioning of the firm's investment solutions i.e., act as the Brand Manager of the Strategy set
- Take overall accountability for ensuring the regional strategy set is ready for market in the target channels and geographies
- Represent the team's solutions and capabilities in client meetings, internal trainings, investment meetings and other forums where strong investment expertise and executive presence is required
- Work proactively with the Head of Equity Index Portfolio Strategy and the investment team to address competitive challenges arising from performance, risk management, perceived quality gaps, etc.
- Develop product and business strategy around index retention, as well as ways to target new potential markets or clientele - includes supporting firmwide cross selling initiatives
- Support client engagement and business development needs through written communications (i.e., RFPs, marketing materials and other thought leadership pieces)
- 8+ years' experience in investment strategy, portfolio management, product management, investment research or an equivalent role
- Experience helping EMEA based institutional clients with their index, ESG and smart beta investment needs - multi asset and ETF knowledge is a plus.
- Advanced degree in Business or Finance and/or CFA designation preferred
- Familiarity with financial software (e.g. FactSet, Bloomberg ) and ESG data sets (e.g. MSCI, Sustainanalytics, ISS ), along with developed quantitative skills
- Strong commercial mindset with a proven track record of successfully engaging with clients and prospects to develop and retain business
- Ability to influence colleagues and work collaboratively to support broader business goals
- Positive attitude, strong work ethic, ability to execute independently yet also maintain strong team orientation
- Ability to work in a hybrid work environment (2-3 days per week in London)
We employ a diverse group of investment professionals within our 26 worldwide locations and 10 investment centers. As an organization, we are committed to corporate social responsibility. Active engagement with our communities around the world, both as a partner and a leader, is a fundamental value at State Street. You'll have tools to help balance your professional and personal life, paid volunteer days, and access to employee networks that help you stay connected to what matters to you. State Street is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.