Big on empirical research? So are we - especially as these skills are valued and needed in the financial services industry.
At UBS Research, we're one of the most dynamic, innovative investment research departments in the world. Yup, you read that correctly. And we're confident that the way we work will take investment research to a different level. How? By using an approach that puts empirical scientific techniques at the core of the financial analysis that we do.
Want to be part of it?
• We're committed to setting you up for a successful career in finance. You don't need to have financial market knowledge or experience, but you should have the drive and determination to succeed in the finance industry.
• Your [15-week] bespoke induction program will introduce you to the finance industry, and empower you with many of the skills and tools you will need to be a standout research associate.
• Once you have completed the program, you'll be ready to join an equity analyst team.
• Work collaboratively with your team, under the direction of your team lead, to publish thematic research.
• Use your skills in empirical research to create and identify opportunities to take ideas / investment claims to data. This includes everything from pitching research ideas to your team lead, to designing empirical strategies to test their hypotheses, to executing the analysis.
• Learn from your teammates about financial analysis and financial services, and teach your teammates about empirical social science and statistical computing.
• Use the skills we'll teach you in the induction program and which you'll learn on the job, conduct fundamental and financial valuation analysis on the companies you cover.
• Convert industry knowledge and research findings into understandable investment opinions.
• Build and maintain financial models to evaluate historical information and generate projections.
• Provide investment recommendations based on modeling, valuation and risk assessments.
• Remain current on market developments to help frame investment strategies. Your team
At UBS Research, our equity analyst teams scrutinize company financial statements, analyze the business from the ground up and explore scenarios. Our goal is to understand the short-, medium-, and long-run earning potential in order to make stock recommendations to professional investors like asset managers and fund managers.
We want you to join one of these small (3-4 person) equity analyst teams. Here, you and your teammates will leverage deep industry knowledge, fluency with microeconomic principles applied in the real world, and hypothesis-driven statistical analysis of both proprietary and public data sources, to create financial forecasts and valuations for the dozen (or so) companies that you will cover.
Your research will be used to pitch investment recommendations to some of the smartest and most sophisticated investors around the world.
Eventually, if things go well, you may find yourself leading a team of your own.
• Ideally 3-5 years of experience designing and executing hypothesis-driven empirical research projects (research experience gained while earning a degree counts).
• Experience conducting research to inform business decisions would be a major plus.
• PhD in an empirical social science area like economics, sociology, political science, demography, population health, public policy, education, or related field. (Masters' degree holders can also be competitive, with sufficient experience).
• Significant experience or formal training in statistical computing, and an ability to work in MS Excel. (Experience in Python would be a major plus).
• Intellectual curiosity and ability to stay organized and work independently on multiple projects under extremely intense time pressure.
• Demonstrated ability to collaborate and communicate effectively within a team.
• We have an open intellectual environment, but every team has a leader who's ultimately responsible and accountable for its product.
• Teaching experience would be a plus.
UBS is the world's largest and only truly global wealth manager. We operate through four business divisions: Global Wealth Management, Personal & Corporate Banking, Asset Management and the Investment Bank. Our global reach and the breadth of our expertise set us apart from our competitors.
With more than 70,000 employees, we have a presence in all major financial centers in more than 50 countries. Do you want to be one of us?
At UBS, we embrace flexible ways of working when the role permits. We offer different working arrangements like part-time, job-sharing and hybrid (office and home) working. Our purpose-led culture and global infrastructure help us connect, collaborate, and work together in agile ways to meet all our business needs.
From gaining new experiences in different roles to acquiring fresh knowledge and skills, we know that great work is never done alone. We know that it's our people, with their unique backgrounds, skills, experience levels and interests, who drive our ongoing success. Together we're more than ourselves. Ready to be part of #teamUBS and make an impact?
Disclaimer / Policy Statements
UBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We respect and seek to empower each individual and support the diverse cultures, perspectives, skills and experiences within our workforce.