The Equity Analyst position is an exciting opportunity for an investment-oriented professional to join Weitz Investment Management, a boutique, entrepreneurial investment firm based in Omaha, Nebraska. Our investment philosophy is grounded in thorough research, a disciplined focus on long-term results, strength in collaboration and a commitment to buying stocks at discounts to their underlying business values. Analysts at Weitz have the flexibility to uncover investment opportunities across industries and market capitalizations.
- Generate new investment ideas for our high conviction equity strategies
- Identify and conduct in-depth primary research on companies that meet our investment criteria.
- Write concise company reports summarizing the analysis in appropriate detail, including action recommendations
- Estimate business values primarily using DCF-based financial modeling focused on key drivers, including Weitz’s proprietary quality-at-a-discount “QuaD” framework for valuation.
- Monitor assigned portfolio investments and on-deck companies
- Update company summaries and valuations at least quarterly
- Communicate timely action recommendations as warranted
- Help evaluate ideas sponsored and presented by other team members
- Interview management teams and others in the relevant value chains, in person and by phone
- Attend industry conferences, field trips, investor days, etc.
- Assist our sales/marketing team in educating clients about our research process and specific investments
Skills and experience required:
- 2 to 5 years of relevant experience in equity research or business analysis
- Proficiency in financial statement analysis and basic Excel modeling
- Bachelor's degree
- CFA charter preferred
- Proficiency with financial/information databases such as Sentieo, FactSet, Capital IQ, or Bloomberg
In addition, the ideal candidate will demonstrate:
- Intellectual curiosity and a clear desire to continuously learn
- Capability to thrive in a collaborative and collegial team environment
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with a particular emphasis on clarity in writing
- Proven strong analytical and quantitative capabilities, as evidenced by career accomplishments and academic rigor / excellence
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and competing priorities
- Passion for analyzing businesses using multiple mental models
- Integration of competitive positioning, capital allocation and incremental return dynamics
- Diversity of background and experience
To succeed in the Weitz culture, candidates must be results-oriented self-starters. We are looking for teammates who adhere to the highest standards and think creatively to realize opportunities, wherever they may be.
About Weitz Investment Management:
Founded by value investor Wally Weitz in 1983, Weitz Investment Management, Inc. is a boutique, employee-owned asset management firm headquartered in Omaha, Nebraska with approximately $3 billion in assets under management. Over the past three decades, Weitz has leveraged its research-driven approach to capitalize on opportunities that arise out of market inefficiencies. Decisions are backed by thorough research, logical strategies, extensive debate and our team’s personal commitment to long-term results. The Weitz team builds and manages concentrated, high-conviction, actively managed portfolios. Through bottom-up, proprietary research that emphasizes fundamentals, we focus on creating positive results over the long term. We offer a variety of options for investors with different goals and preferences, including equity and fixed income investment strategies through mutual funds and separately managed accounts for individuals and institutions.
We offer all employees competitive compensation and benefits including medical, dental and vision coverage, as well as parental leave, paid time off, on-site gym access, and a very generous qualified profit sharing plan.
Compensation includes salary and discretionary cash bonus and will be commensurate with experience.
Please apply by submitting resume to Barton Hooper, Director of Equity Research.
By e-mail: email@example.com
By mail: Weitz Investment Management, Inc.
1125 S. 103rd St, Suite 200
Omaha, NE 68124-1071