Who we're looking for
We're looking for a passionate Python engineer to work within the Front Office Technology team. You'll work with likeminded technologists, with a variety of skill sets, focused on building best of breed data processing, workflow and analytical tools for processes such as investment research, data modelling and portfolio construction using modern, appropriate technologies.
We're after an adaptable engineer to work within a team that delivers software that's fast, reliable, and has a tangible impact on our business. Ideally, you'll have a good understanding of asset management and financial markets.
The Front Office Technology team are at the forefront of building alpha generating solutions for areas including investment research, quantitative investing and proprietary ESG models and metrics. The team are located on-desk, where there's strong collaboration and co-creation with the quants and portfolio managers for both research and investment activities.
You'll work with a team of enthusiastic individuals who are passionate about software in a financial context and evolving our investment platform. They're also keen on driving positive technology change, ensuring that we always stay ahead of the curve.
We're a global investment manager. We help institutions, intermediaries and individuals around the world invest money to meet their goals, fulfil their ambitions, and prepare for the future.
We have around 5,500 people on six continents and we've been around for over 200 years, but keep adapting as society and technology changes. What doesn't change is our commitment to helping our clients, and society, prosper.
We moved into our new HQ in the City of London in 2018, located close to our clients in the heart of the UK's financial centre.
What you'll do
• Be part of a business facing team with a high visibility
• Deliver a first class data and analytics platform to support investment decision making and quantitative research
• Refine the existing investment and research platform in response to business needs
• Work with the quants to adopt Python and transition their ideas and processes to it
• Build reusable components and packages for wider use
• Coach and develop more junior team members, ensuring that best practices and methodologies are followed
• Help build out a Python capability across Front Office Technology
The knowledge, experience and qualifications you need
• Strong Python development experience, in an enterprise environment
• Python library knowledge including packages such as FastAPI and Dash
• Experience with both SQL and NoSQL database platforms
• An understanding of data structures and common data transformation methodologies
• A drive to deliver with an ability to own a piece of work from start to finish
• Able to work in a modern software engineering environment, using Agile and DevOps methodologies and tools including Scrum, git and CI/CD
• Able to deal credibly with business and technical users at all levels of the organisation
The knowledge, experience and qualifications that will help
• Proficiency in the Linux environment
• Experience using Docker containers and preferably Kubernetes
• Experience with cloud (AWS or Azure)
• A Computer Science and Financial Services background
What you'll be like
• Passionate about technology and how it evolves
• A problem solver with a business facing personality
• Able to work under pressure, on several priorities at once
• Great at working with other people, sharing and communicating ideas