Legal and Compliance Department
The Legal and Compliance Department (LCD) manages the legal and regulatory compliance risks, and partners with the business to ensure that legal and regulatory issues and risks are identified, assessed and dealt with in a timely and efficient manner.
We are looking for a highly motivated, high calibre candidate to join our Regulatory Compliance team as an Associate/ Assistant Vice President. Responsibilities
- Monitor rules and regulations that apply to GIC's investment and trading activities
- Active advisory on business issues and initiatives, including ad hoc requests from the business, and regulatory reports/inquiries e.g. on new trading strategies, business propositions, products (public markets), or deals (private markets)
- BAU work includes tracking of regulatory developments and changes through, e.g. legal bulletins, alerts from custodians, news relating to global laws, regulations and exchange rules
- Monitor and keep up to date on the universe of new developments that need to be tracked, including notifications by custodians (forwarded by the relevant support department) or external law firms, assess and disseminate relevant information to stakeholders on a timely basis
- Provision of sound and pragmatic advice and solutions to business, including consulting external counsel, brokers, custodians, etc.
- Timely implementation - working closely with responsible departments to advise on and support the implementation of the required policies and controls before effective date
- Regulations governing investments in various jurisdictions (e.g. US SEC, EU, APAC), large shareholding disclosure rules, exchange trading rules, foreign acquisition laws, foreign direct investment regimes, takeover requirements etc.
- Rules governing public equity and debt investments, securities lending, futures/options and OTC derivatives trading.
- Sell side knowledge of trading rules and how capital markets operate will be beneficial. Private equity knowledge will also be relevant.
- Involves both pre investment advisory and post investment work (e.g. advising internal stakeholders on regulatory constraints, internal workarounds and reporting requirements)
- Qualification of GIC to make certain investments as required by law in various jurisdictions, e.g. QFII, FPI, PI.
Corporate services related regulations
- Assess applicability of regulatory licensing requirements in countries where GIC has presence to conduct the business as a discretionary fund manager
- At least 3-6 years of relevant compliance experience in a financial institution, regulator or Exchange, preferably in the regulatory advisory compliance space.
- Interest and/or experience in reading and interpreting laws and regulations
- Interest and/or experience in providing advisory on how to apply these regulations (and in our case, keen ability to apply in context of GIC's investment and operational activities)
- Examples of regulations including large shareholding reporting, foreign acquisitions, ownership restrictions, regulatory trading rules (block trades, market manipulation), exchange traded futures/options position limits, OTC derivatives trade reporting/margining requirements, privacy laws, record retention
- General understanding of, and a keen interest in financial markets and products
- Confident with strong analytical, communication and influencing skills, ability to convey analyses and ideas clearly and succinctly
- Self-starter, takes initiative, accountable, able to conduct independent research on regulatory developments
- Strong team player as well as individual contributor
- Strong time management and ability to prioritize