What you can expect from us:
We are committed to creating an environment where you can be exceptional at all you do. To help us deliver this, we promise to:
- Challenge Your Limits by creating a stimulating working environment and providing opportunities for you to be involved in meaningful and challenging work;
- Support Your Aspirations with a commitment to learning and development that helps you achieve and build your experience with people who want you to succeed;
- Value Your Input whereby leaders and managers will involve you in key decisions, listen to your thoughts and recognise the important contribution you make;
- Balance Your Life through a work life partnership that focuses on making this an inclusive, diverse and friendly place to work and offers the flexibility and support that enables everyone to be at their best.
This role sits with in the Asia Pacific Origination team, which was established in late 2019. The team is investment focused and originates investments for M&G funds across the Asia Pacific region in:
- Private credit: leveraged finance, real estate, structured credit and infrastructure, etc;
- Private asset equity: residual interests in infrastructure projects, pools of consumer assets, etc;
- Private corporate equity: clean energy and climate, healthcare, edutech, financial inclusion, etc;
- Public securitisation: RMBS, autos, SME, etc.
The team has been extremely active, having completed numerous investments and having deployed c. USD 1.5bn. This has been across a number of different funds in M&G - the team is originating into the c. USD 50bn of assets that M&G funds hold within the assets listed above.
Additionally, the APAC Origination Team is part of the global Catalyst team which was set up to manage a c. USD 6bn mandate focused on investing in private asset with a focus on ESG and innovation.The Role:
The role is to come in at a Manager level work within the Asia Pacific Origination team. This will involve working within deal teams to originate and analyse investments for a variety of M&G's funds, across a range of different asset classes.
The team manages the full breadth of the origination process, including:
- Sourcing investment opportunities (including maintaining relationships with counterparties);
- Negotiating commercial terms;
- Preforming due diligence on companies;
- Assessing ESG within the investment;
- Underwriting the potential investment;
- Presenting to investment committees;
- Working with external legal advisors on documentation.
The successful candidate will be involved with all of the parts of the process of investing in an opportunity, working in small teams which will consist of members from the APAC Origination team, the broader global Catalyst team and UK based asset specialists.Key Responsibilities for this role:
Key Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Work within deal teams to originate APAC investment opportunities with a focus on analysis of the investments;
- Work with fund management teams in London to provide investment recommendations;
- Working with the origination team in Singapore to maintain relationships with key counterparties;
- Build strong relationships across the business, particularly with fund managers, the analysis teams and the rest of the global origination team;
- Provide support to the distribution teams in Asia through providing investment based product knowledge.
- 3+ years of experience in investment analysis;
- Experience working in any of the following areas will be beneficial:
- Private equity analysis;
- Public and private corporate credit analysis;
- Consideration will be given to experience in other areas including secured equity/debt investments in real estate, project finance, asset pools etc.
- CFA or equivalent qualification preferred but not required;
- High proficiency in both written and spoken English, to support our Asia Pacific markets, with strong communication skills in both internal and external (companies and clients) environments. The team currently consists of English and Mandarin speakers. Proficiency in other languages is a positive but not a requirement.
- Be a team player with ability to work with colleagues from different functions and business units, and in a culturally diverse environment;
- Have the ability to analyse financial information to provide quantitative and qualitative analysis;
- Adopt innovative thinking and the ability to work with investment opportunities in new sectors or jurisdictions;
- Proactive nature - willingness to read widely (FT, business publications), consider companies / industries / products as part of daily life, and taking this information suggest potential investment ideas/areas of future analysis;
- Ability to work in a small team environment with an emphasis on frequent and informal communication.
We live by four behaviours at M&G and we ask all our employees to:
- Inspire Others - Support and encourage each other, creating an environment where everyone can contribute and succeed;
- Embrace Change - Be open to change, willing to be challenged and able to adapt quickly and imaginatively to new ideas;
- Deliver Results - Focus on outcomes, set high standards and deliver with energy and determination;
- Keep it Simple - Cut through complexity and bureaucracy, be clear and decisive and never overcomplicate things.
At M&G Diversity and Inclusion is a strategic objective. We know that an inclusive environment makes us more accessible and ensures we attract, engage, promote and retain exceptional people. We welcome applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender/gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnicity/nationally, disability, or military service and welcome those who have taken career breaks. We will consider flexible working arrangements for any of our roles.