Who we're looking for
The Lean thinkers and continuous improvers dedicated to moving organisations and cultures forward.
You focus on outcomes and ruthlessly pursue the most value for the least effort, while ensuring the team do this in a technically and psychologically sustainable way. You challenge a teams technical working practices and hold your own in a discussion on topics including TDD, XP, and shift left testing amongst the technical leads and the team. Above all you're a pragmatist and understand that lasting agile change is a marathon and not a sprint and in the meantime you'll need to adapt practices to work for current context.
You understand that mindset change is fundamental to the longevity of change above process and practice.
We're a global investment manager. We help institutions, intermediaries and individuals around the world invest money to meet their goals, fulfil their ambitions, and prepare for the future.
We have around 5,000 people on six continents. And we've been around for over 200 years but keep adapting as society and technology changes. What doesn't change is our commitment to helping our clients, and society, prosper.
We moved into our new HQ in the City of London in 2018. We're close to our clients, in the heart of the UK's financial center. And we have everything we need to work flexibly.
Investment Technology provides tooling, applications and platforms to support the investment desks at Schroders with an emphasis on a stable operating environment that can function at multiple speeds and levels of scale. Our primary goal is to deliver value through Technology domain expertise and robust solutions to our customers.
We're moving our technology estate to the cloud and in the process we're re-architecting our technology stack. Our new platform is a fully serverless, event-driven architecture with the front ends built in React, and Python for all backend services.
What you'll do
• Build and maintain motivated teams with your product and engineering peers, making sure there is an iterative plan to work towards the regular delivery of value that's balanced between technical improvement and product change.
• Coach those with influence upon the team, facilitate continuous improvement and apply the most appropriate agile and lean tools and techniques for the environment.
• Proactively manage dependencies, overcome obstacles, and get the best value against constraints.
• Protect the team and make sure they collaborate, communicate, and focus on what is most important.
• Facilitate the capture and analysis of metrics to provide appropriate insights to stakeholders and the team, storytelling with data and context.
• Be able to take the team on a journey of getting closer to user needs, working with your Product Lead bridging any gaps identified between the teams and the stakeholders understanding of the problem space.
• Shared responsibility for managing people in your teams, their in-role development, and supporting career progression in collaboration with your engineering and product counterparts as appropriate.
• Collaborate and contribute within the delivery community to define best practices taking initiative to work on your circle of influence to contribute to wider change.
• Providing support for your fair share of the administrative elements of a smooth running team such as budgeting and forecasting.
The knowledge, experience, and qualifications you need
• Demonstratable experience of helping teams set and meet objectives and tracking their progress towards these.
• Experience in influencing developers, QA, BA, and Product Leads in agile approaches
• Experience managing multiple initiatives through a team helping create transparency of work in progress and team capacity/bottlenecks and collaborating effectively with other teams working on the shared initiatives.
• Experience leading cross-functional teams through an agile journey, having experienced different challenges and arrived at different solutions for differing contexts.
• Ideally you will have coached teams during a period of agile transformation.
• Have experience of creating agile metrics and reporting, understanding the difference in use of both leading and lagging indicators.
• Solid understanding of agile and lean approaches and knowledge of organisational psychology, team motivation, and core coaching techniques.
What you'll be like
• Inspiring and collaborative leader, role-modeling agile leadership.
• Friendly, approachable and enjoys working with and including a diverse set of people.
• Communicates with tact and sensitivity, mindful of how information may be received.
• Comfortable facilitating and communicating using both business and technology terms.
• Shows initiative and thrives in a fast-paced and time-critical business environment.
• Capable of remaining positive when under pressure.
• Respects the direction of management and the authority of business stakeholders, however is able to objectively and constructively deliver the truth.
• Holds themselves accountable, demonstrates integrity and deals fairly with everyone.
• Is willing to get their 'hands dirty' to get the job done.
We are looking for the best, whoever they are
Schroders is an equal opportunities employer. You're welcome here whatever your sex, marital status, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, religious belief, or age.