Market Analytics Specialist
A little about Capital Power
Capital Power (TSX: CPX) is dedicated to powering a sustainable future for people and planet. Headquartered in Edmonton, Alberta, we’re a growth oriented North American power producer that creates innovative electricity solutions to electrify the world reliably and affordably while protecting the planet for future generations. We’re passionate about our employees and place their entire wellbeing at the center of our people strategy. We are proud to foster a culture that values diversity, equity, and inclusion; recognizing this is paramount to help grow our company and reach our net carbon neutral by 2050 goal. We’re proud to foster an inclusive environment where employees are empowered to be their best, make meaningful contributions and go home safe every day.
One Permanent Full Time Position.
Capital Power Corporation is currently seeking an innovative and motivated individual to join our Market Assessment & Forecasting (MA&F) team.
The Market Analytics Specialist is accountable for providing analytical and modeling support in the delivery of reliable and timely internal long term fundamental forecasts for various power markets. Reporting to the Senior Manager, Market Assessment and Analytics, the Specialist works with the rest of the MA&F team to accurately model Capital Power’s target power markets, supporting and contributing to the efficient and effective use of data and analytics, identification and implementation of process improvements, and interaction with the Power Market Assessment team to understand market dynamics and assumptions. The Specialist’s accountability will also include research and analysis to support Capital Power’s Strategy.
Think you're a great fit for this role but don’t meet 100% of the criteria listed below? Apply anyways - we'd love to speak with you if you meet most of the requirements!
You will contribute to our team by
- Support the delivery of accurate, reliable and timely power market forecasts and analytics for Capital Power’s target power markets as necessary. Analysis would be at various levels of granularity and for different durations ranging from the near term to 30 years forward.
- Work with MA&F Senior Advisors to support the long-term plan (LTP) and budget processes by providing the Commercial Services, Financial Analysis and Financial Planning groups necessary inputs including power and natural gas price forecasts, asset-specific generation forecasts, margin projections, other analysis as required and helping explain forecast-over-forecast variances.
- Familiarity with market modeling tools including inputting updated assumptions, running the market simulation models as well as providing and interpreting results.
- Perform ad-hoc analytics, assessments, tasks as required to support strategy and long-term plan development or to support requests from the Senior Manager, Strategic Analytics.
- Develop and implement Data management solutions as required.
- Develop and demonstrate expertise in the use and leverage of fundamental modeling software, tools, and market research methods.
- Provide input to the Power Market forecast plans and methodologies, ensure an appropriate understanding of the CPC, Power Market Modeling and Market Assessment & Forecasting strategy and ensure ongoing effective positioning and appropriate relationships between other positions in Market Assessment & Forecasting, key internal SMEs, and in the rest of Capital Power.
- Contribute to identification of data and information required for fundamental inputs, best means to store and access this information, and optimal processes to consolidate required inputs for the fundamental modeling.
- Implement system improvements and provide input into recommendations on system maintenance and optimization.
- Demonstrate a culture of continuous improvement in forecasting and analytics to improve CPC’s fundamental forecasting and assessment capabilities.
- Work generally has a moderate risk to the organization. Tool development should be standardized, rely on automation to the extent possible and appropriate, and optimize the use of data and databases to ensure optimal efficiency. Ensure that processes and procedures are clearly defined and documented.
- Demonstrates adherence to all HSE procedures/rules and standards.
- Work with rest of MA&F teams to understand the company strategy, power market dynamics and assumptions and figure optimal modeling approaches to replicate true market conditions as well as possible.
- Maintaining excellent relationships with various internal collaborators.
What you will bring to the role
- Education equivalency may be considered
- Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Business/Commerce, Economics, Mathematics
- 3+ years of quantitative, analytical experience
- Understanding of North American power markets and energy system dynamics
- Experience with fundamental power market modeling and assessment approaches, challenges, data management, research methods, tools and software
- Advanced Excel, modeling skills, and analytical skills
- Knowledge of programming languages
- Proficiency in tools such as VBA, SQL
- Proficiency in data management, analysis and research skills.
- Ability to translate complex analysis for less technically oriented professionals
- Proficiency in operating one or more power forecasting software packages
- Written, verbal and listening communication and presentation skills
- Hybrid Office/Work from home position, with possible very minimal travel to meet business users at Capital Power facilities or other offices.
This position is available in Edmonton or Calgary.
In order to be considered for this role you must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
The successful candidate for this position will undergo an education verification, reference checks and criminal record check.
We offer a highly flexible benefits and wellbeing program, comprehensive onboarding and training, and various development opportunities to support your success and personal growth.
How To Apply and Next Steps
Capital Power only accepts resumes via online application at www.capitalpower.com/careers. If you choose to submit your resume by any other means, we cannot guarantee that your application will be considered for vacancies.
Applicants with disabilities who require a reasonable accommodation to complete their application can request accessible formats, communication support, or other accessibility assistance by contacting
Capital Power is committed to providing a fair and transparent hiring process. We recognize and embrace the value of diversity and hire employees with the appropriate skills, experience and knowledge for each position.
Thank you for taking the time to apply and expressing interest in powering a sustainable future with Capital Power! We wish that we could personally respond to everyone who applies; however, it is our practice to contact only those individuals selected for interviews.
To apply on this position please go to www.capitalpower.com/careers and search for JR805275.