The Global Industries Group ("GIG") - Transition Finance Banker is a specialist position, with the experience and skills required to drive transition finance origination revenues and support the transition of Standard Chartered's carbon intensive portfolios towards Net Zero alignment.
They will work directly with clients and key industry bodies and develop a reputation with internal and external stakeholders as the authority of the specific industry transition risks and opportunities. They will manage the specific risks that arise from transition transactions, support regional client and product teams, and develop the transition strategy and risk appetite for their industries.
The GIG - Transition Finance Banker will report to the relevant GIG sector lead, with a matrix to the Head Transition Finance, who forms part of the Sustainable Finance team.
The Role described below is for an experienced and self-driven individual who will support the risk, business growth and transition of the portfolio. Strategy
- Work closely with the relevant GIG sector, and Transition Finance head to develop and execute a plan that would make Standard Chartered the Bank best known for Transition Finance by our clients and other stakeholders.
- As many of transition themes are transversal, the individual will need to work closely with other GIG sector teams, the wider Sustainable Finance team, as well as coverage and product leaders to identify opportunities, customer need and approach.
- Work closely with key external bodies in the development of transition pathways for impacted industries, aid customers develop and execute their own transition plan.
- Deliver new mandates to help achieve the Transition Finance annual budgets. Key areas of focus include M&A advisory, capital raises, project finance, etc.
- Position SCB as a first port of call for SCB's core clients requiring services linked to Transition Finance.
- Support any portfolio steering decisions required to align to Net Zero targets.
- Take a leadership origination role and support execution on strategic transactions.
- Plan with the Relationship Managers and Product Partners how best to drive business success and target client penetration.
- Ensure mandates are properly and expediently executed to the highest standards.
- Oversee deal selection, conflict resolution and risk management to ensure the firm chooses business consistent with its Strategy and policies.
- Report to seniors about important business developments, risk issues and other relevant issues.
- Develop and maintain strong industry contacts and sustainable finance knowledge.
People and Talent
- Responsible for coordinating with stakeholders in cross-functional teams on the design, execution, and measurement of client or sector transition strategies.
- Maintain and track pipeline of transition finance deals and client conversations and report progress to senior management.
- Help embed Transition Finance across Standard Chartered, as well work to develop global sustainable finance team as a centre for excellence in the bank.
- Training and capacity building of the regional coverage, and risk teams.
- Lead by example and build the appropriate culture and values. Set appropriate tone and expectations from their team and work in collaboration with risk and control partners.
- Ensure the provision of ongoing training and development of people on transition topics, and ensure that holders of all critical functions are suitably skilled and qualified for their roles.
- Encourage a performance driven culture.
- Work closely with Risk to build bankable models and risk appetite for key transition technology and industry groups.
- Safeguard the bank against reputation risk damage but proactively develop transition finance structures that are in line with global industry best practices.
- Encourage good and proactive management of environmental, social, regulatory, reputational and ethical risks governance across all areas of the business.
- Take the initiative regarding regulatory, reputational and ethical matters, and provide proactive advice to clients.
Regulatory and Business Conduct
- Awareness and understanding of the regulatory framework, in which the Group operates, and the regulatory requirements and expectations relevant to the role.
- Responsible for delivering 'effective governance'; capability to challenge fellow executives effectively; and willingness to work with any local regulators in an open and cooperative manner.
- Able to develop and manage the relevant governance for any client partnerships.
- Ensure compliance with the sustainable finance governance structure and environmental and social risk management policies. Challenge improvement of these.
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Conduct Principles: Fair Outcomes for Clients; Effective Financial Markets; Financial Crime Compliance; The Right Environment.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Adhere to local and international regulator prescribed responsibilities and policies.
- CCIBMT management, product, and client teams
- Global Head of Sustainable Finance
- Global Head Industry Teams
- Relevant Industry Heads
- Global Head of Environmental and Social Risk Management
- Global Sustainable Finance Team
- COO CCIB, GB, FM, TB, CF
- The Bank's customers, competitors, regulators, investors and partners.
Our Ideal Candidate
- Ability to independently drive initiatives with minimum hands-on supervision.
- Client focused with ability to establish and leveraging high impact relationships and presenting creative solutions.
- Strong communication skills and stakeholder management skills.
- Delivery and execution focused.
- Able to influence and engage with C level execs.
- Ability to work with lots of moving parts and complexity.
- Data driven and leads with a scientific approach to data and delivery.
- Change management, and program management expertise.
- Highly skilled in creation of briefing materials, report writing and preparation of presentations.
Role Specific Technical Competencies
- 10 plus years of experience in Global Industries Group ,Transition Finance
- Degree or post graduate qualified from a top-tier school.
- Prior experience of Industry decarbonisation strategy - may also have a track record in Structured Debt, Project Finance, M&A, Capital Markets, Financial Markets and Structured Trade transactions.
- Good knowledge and understanding of Industry within scope of responsibility.
- Solid financial analysis, client interaction, deal negotiation and structuring.
- Strong understanding of regulatory and compliance obligations.
- Ability to excel in both team and self-directed settings.
- Strong work ethics, detail orientation and a passion for excellence.
- Effective communication skills both written and oral with internal and external clients.
About Standard Chartered
- Industry knowledge
- Understanding of decarbonisation strategies
- Financial analysis and deal structuring
- Deal structuring
We're an international bank, nimble enough to act, big enough for impact. For more than 160 years, we've worked to make a positive difference for our clients, communities, and each other. We question the status quo, love a challenge and enjoy finding new opportunities to grow and do better than before. If you're looking for a career with purpose and you want to work for a bank making a difference, we want to hear from you. You can count on us to celebrate your unique talents. And we can't wait to see the talents you can bring us.
Our purpose, to drive commerce and prosperity through our unique diversity , together with our brand promise, to be here for good are achieved by how we each live our valued behaviours . When you work with us, you'll see how we value difference and advocate inclusion. Together we:
In line with our Fair Pay Charter,
- Do the right thing and are assertive, challenge one another, and live with integrity, while putting the client at the heart of what we do
- Never settle, continuously striving to improve and innovate, keeping things simple and learning from doing well, and not so well
- Be better together, we can be ourselves, be inclusive, see more good in others, and work collectively to build for the long term
we offer a competitive salary and benefits to support your mental, physical, financial and social wellbeing.
Recruitment assessments -
- Core bank funding for retirement savings, medical and life insurance, with flexible and voluntary benefits available in some locations
- Time-off including annual, parental/maternity (20 weeks), sabbatical (12 weeks maximum) and volunteering leave (3 days), along with with minimum global standards for annual and public holiday, which is combined to 30 days minimum
- Flexible working options based around home and office locations, with flexible working patterns
- Proactive wellbeing support through Unmind, a market-leading digital wellbeing platform, development courses for resilience and other human skills, global Employee Assistance Programme, sick leave, mental health first-aiders and all sorts of self-help toolkits
- A continuous learning culture to support your growth, with opportunities to reskill and upskill and access to physical, virtual and digital learning
- Being part of an inclusive and values driven organisation, one that embraces and celebrates our unique diversity, across our teams, business functions and geographies - everyone feels respected and can realise their full potential.
some of our roles use assessments to help us understand how suitable you are for the role you've applied to. If you are invited to take an assessment, this is great news. It means your application has progressed to an important stage of our recruitment process.
Visit our careers website www.sc.com/careers