Role Responsibilities Job Summary
This is a role within the CPBB Risk function to manage credit risk in the small and medium enterprises lending portfolio within the Business Banking segment across all markets. Against a backdrop of constantly evolving demands of business / organisational change such as business boundary shifts, macroeconomic challenge, supply chain shifts, currency volatility, heightened governance requirements and regulatory scrutiny, the key responsibilities include delivery of future proof risk management credit policies, standards, ad-hoc / crisis risk management guidelines to ensure a suitable risk and reward balance to support growth.
While the role holder is an individual contributor, the job is done through collaboration with various internal stakeholders to ensure credit decisions are effectively made within the risk appetite of the Bank. Strategy
- Awareness and understanding of CPBB's Business Banking Strategy and supporting the Global Head of Business Banking Risk in the design and implementation of risk management strategies aligned with the Group's enterprise risk management framework to
- manage credit risks in the CPBB Business Banking portfolios.
- ensure the governance around policies and procedures are well documented and clearly laid out for countries to comply.
- Enable the Business Banking segment to realize its strategic objectives by defining and achieving desired portfolio shape and characteristics that maximize return on capital within acceptable risk appetite and loss volatility.
- Ensure Business Banking Risk teams across the Group are aware of the wider business, economic and market conditions, particularly those that lead to emerging risks.
- Develop suitable risk framework for identifying and managing high risk / medium risk segments in respective markets and develop mitigating controls through country portfolio guidelines, placing right monitoring caps and escalation matrix.
- Develop strong portfolio management capabilities to establish and proactively identify adverse/early alert trends and address suitable policy and process controls to mitigate the risks.
People and Talent
- Coordination with Group reporting and Hub analytics on developing management information systems to support robust and forward-looking risk management.
- Work with the frontline to make the portfolio management, including Early Alert process, more fit for purpose.
- Development of credit approvers in markets through trainings, feedback, BCA review and BCA oversight to ensure the quality of underwriting and over-all risk management capabilities are fit to meet ongoing and forward-looking business needs and plans.
- Support the Global Head Business Banking Risk by participation in Business Banking-relevant credit risks forums, working with FM teams, Transaction Banking risk teams, managing CRC related issues and Operations teams.
Regulatory and Business Conduct
- Maintain a good understanding of the requirements of key external stakeholders relevant to the role and ensure that these are well understood internally and reflected in internal procedures.
- Conducting read-across of relevant Global Internal Audit and Enterprise Risk Review issues around other markets and products; and follow through to ensure appropriate and timely closure of findings.
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Global Head of Business Banking Risk
- CRO, CPBB
- CPBB Risk Management Team
- Regional and Cluster Chief Credit Officers
- Country Credit Heads, CPBB
- CPBB Risk Policy and Framework Team
- CPBB Business Banking Group Office Heads and Executive Directors
- Group Internal Audit
- Credit / Enterprise Risk Review
- Enterprise Risk Management
Our Ideal Candidate
- Embed 'Here for Good' and the Group's brand and values in Country and Region.
- Perform other responsibilities assigned under Group, Country, Business or Functional policies and procedures.
Role Specific Technical Competencies
- 15+ years of experience in the retail and wholesale banking industry with respect to discretionary and program lending to SME and wholesale clients, with strong control and / or governance, underwriting, and portfolio management experience across a geographically dispersed market with varied product base.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to command the respect of a cross functional set of professionals at senior level (internal and external) working in open ended situations.
- Appropriate academic training and / or experience in finance, business or accounting; Bachelor degree is a must and a post-graduate degree is desired.
- Ability to manage multiple workstreams and tasks successfully in a fast paced and increasingly regulatory driven environment.
- Strong analytical power, excellent problem identification and problem-solving skills with the ability to make independent decisions.
- Effective in working across diverse cultures and geographies.
About Standard Chartered
- Risk - C & I Credit Risk
- Risk - GSAM
- Risk - Retail and Private Banking Credit Risk
- Risk - Manage Change
- Risk - Operational Risk
- Risk - Manage People
- Risk - Communication and Influencing Skills
We're an international bank, nimble enough to act, big enough for impact. For more than 160 years, we've worked to make a positive difference for our clients, communities, and each other. We question the status quo, love a challenge and enjoy finding new opportunities to grow and do better than before. If you're looking for a career with purpose and you want to work for a bank making a difference, we want to hear from you. You can count on us to celebrate your unique talents. And we can't wait to see the talents you can bring us.
Our purpose, to drive commerce and prosperity through our unique diversity , together with our brand promise, to be here for good are achieved by how we each live our valued behaviours . When you work with us, you'll see how we value difference and advocate inclusion. Together we:
In line with our Fair Pay Charter,
- Do the right thing and are assertive, challenge one another, and live with integrity, while putting the client at the heart of what we do
- Never settle, continuously striving to improve and innovate, keeping things simple and learning from doing well, and not so well
- Be better together, we can be ourselves, be inclusive, see more good in others, and work collectively to build for the long term
we offer a competitive salary and benefits to support your mental, physical, financial and social wellbeing.
Recruitment assessments -
- Core bank funding for retirement savings, medical and life insurance, with flexible and voluntary benefits available in some locations
- Time-off including annual, parental/maternity (20 weeks), sabbatical (12 weeks maximum) and volunteering leave (3 days), along with minimum global standards for annual and public holiday, which is combined to 30 days minimum
- Flexible working options based around home and office locations, with flexible working patterns
- Proactive wellbeing support through Unmind, a market-leading digital wellbeing platform, development courses for resilience and other human skills, global Employee Assistance Programme, sick leave, mental health first-aiders and all sorts of self-help toolkits
- A continuous learning culture to support your growth, with opportunities to reskill and upskill and access to physical, virtual and digital learning
- Being part of an inclusive and values driven organisation, one that embraces and celebrates our unique diversity, across our teams, business functions and geographies - everyone feels respected and can realise their full potential.
some of our roles use assessments to help us understand how suitable you are for the role you've applied to. If you are invited to take an assessment, this is great news. It means your application has progressed to an important stage of our recruitment process.
Visit our careers website www.sc.com/careers