Director Risk Management
Role Value Proposition:
Global Risk Management (GRM) oversees MetLife’s financial and non-financial risks in order to support responsible growth and ensure we deliver on our promises to customers. GRM accomplishes this through proactive advice, through independent and effective challenge, and through implementation and enforcement of guardrails. This position is responsible for supporting the Credit Risk Management team which serves as an independent review function within Global Risk Management and is primarily focused on overseeing credit risks generated by its investment portfolios.
This position will be responsible for credit risk surveillance, monitoring exposures against limits, and identifying concentrations. This position will also be responsible for reviewing emerging risks, monitoring, and reporting significant changes in credit quality (e.g., rating migration, fallen angels, and resulting changes in capital charges), and analyzing how long-term sector trends and events could impact our portfolios.
Strong candidates will be able to demonstrate solid quantitative and qualitative fundamental credit skills that span across corporate sectors. Direct experience analyzing Utilities and/or the Energy Sectors is preferred.
This position reports directly to MetLife’s Head of Credit Risk Surveillance and will be responsible for assisting with any credit risk related matters, including preparing analyses for senior management, including the Chief Risk Officer.
- Conduct credit risk surveillance on MetLife’s investment portfolios and escalate key findings to senior management
- Ensure the maintenance of all credit analyses and that credit risk policies are comprehensive
- Establish and maintain relationships with partners in the 1st line across all relevant asset sectors
- Provide support to rest of the team with ad hoc projects
- Resolve limit breaches and review requests to exceed limits
- Support management in preparing various credit risk dashboard and reporting
- Assist in the development, review, and recommendation of credit risk limits
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline.
- 10+ years of applicable and proven experience in corporate credit analysis at an insurance, banking, asset management or other financial services institution.
- Ability to work effectively with key partners (e.g., GRM, Investments, Legal, Finance, etc.).
- Can effectively influence others and gain consensus when needed
- Be able to work independently and detail oriented
- Strong presentation, communication and organizational skills are a prerequisite
- Team player who can adapt to changing priorities
- Ability to collate and analyze information into reasoned and supported arguments
- Good business acumen and ability to connect analytical insights with business decisions
- Strong technical skills using Microsoft Excel, Access, PowerPoint), as well as ability to quickly learn new risk management tools and concepts
- Experience with commonly used credit applications and rating methodologies is a must
- Advanced degree preferred (e.g., MBA or master’s degree in Finance, Accounting or Economics)
- Formal credit training preferred. The individual should have a solid credit background and ability to demonstrate a deep understanding of fundamental credit analysis and key drivers of credit risk trends.
- International experience is a plus