Senior Manager, Indirect Tax Compliance and TechnologyAbout Astellas
At Astellas we are a progressive health partner, delivering value and outcomes where needed.
We pursue innovative science, focussing initially on the areas of greatest potential and then developing solutions where patient need is high, often in rare or under-served disease areas and in life-threatening or life-limiting diseases and conditions.
We work directly with patients, doctors and health care professionals on the front line to ensure patient and clinical needs are guiding our development activities at every stage.
Our global vision for Patient Centricity is to support the development of innovative health solutions through a deep understanding of the patient experience. At Astellas, Patient Centricity isn't a buzzword - it's a guiding principle for action. We believe all staff have a role to play in creating a patient-centric culture and integrating an awareness of the patient into our everyday working practices, regardless of our role, team or division.
We work closely with regulatory authorities and payers to find new ways to ensure access to new therapies. We deliver the latest insights and real-world evidence to inform the best decisions for patients and their care-givers, to ensure the medicines we develop continue to provide meaningful outcomes.
Beyond medicines, we support our stakeholder communities to drive initiatives that improve awareness, education, access and ultimately standards of care.About the role
Working as part of a highly experienced and collaborative team, this position is extremely varied and you will be empowered to make some key decisions.
The Senior Manager Indirect Tax Compliance and Technology is responsible for proactively leading the VAT returns, EU sales listings and intrastate reporting across EMEA regions on a monthly VAT reporting process, reviewing the tax reporting drafted by external service providers, and driving transformation of the processes to increase controls and automation, decrease manual intervention and provide more meaningful analytics for the region to the tax team's stakeholders.
Indirect Tax Technology Enhancement:
- Be responsible especially for managing complex VAT compliance for EMEA entities with highly complicated VAT transactions related to goods and services.
- Drive a secured and controlled environment to ensure Astellas' Indirect Tax reporting and compliance obligations across EMEA are met
- Document & implement tax reporting and compliance policies and procedures
- Provide timely and accurate high-level tax advice and be a key point of linkage among relevant Enhance tax governance and control through content management solutions, workflow technologies and document management.
- Document and review a harmonized and centralized Indirect tax processes and controls to identify enhancement opportunities.
- Develop and maintain relationships with external tax advisors and technology providers, as well as internal technical teams across the Group.
- Monitor and stay up to date on emerging tax technology trends and continually re-evaluate and revise the tax technology strategy for Indirect tax.
- stakeholders including the Director Tax, EMEA, affiliates and other departments.
- VAT reporting responsibilities
- Manage business relationships and identify new business transactions or business changes that may impact on EMEA tax
- Process Improvement
Essential Knowledge & Experience
- Monitor the regulations in EMEA countries for all affiliates and advise relevant departments to reflect changes in VAT reporting and system.
- Implement and maintain Indirect tax automation and reporting solutions within S4/Hana and various software together with relevant internal and external stakeholders.
- Take an ownership for the system design and improvements of the product and service flows from a tax perspective and work together with other stakeholders such as Supply Chain, GBS, Information System department.
- Improve the VAT GL system design and process.
- Manage and advise on Indirect Tax technology projects involving multiple business units for further enhancement and automation.
- Implement and sustain tax data quality standards in financial systems to enhance Indirect tax processes, operations and effectiveness.
- Tax Authorities, External auditors, professional service providers, external contractors
Preferred Knowledge and Experience
- EU Indirect Tax compliance and advisory - managing Fixed Establishments, foreign VAT registrations, free of charge supplies of goods and services, VAT issues arising from complex supply chain of cross-border movement of goods etc.
- Complex GL reconciliation of companies with multiple VAT registrations
- Solid years of experiences in big 4 or multinationals;
- Excellent ERP relevant experiences and knowledge (preferably S4/Hana, One Source, Global Trade Services, Concur, Ariba)
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Experiences in managing global / regional projects
- Demonstrable experience of proactive identification and mitigation of tax risks.
- Detailed understanding of tax controls environment and how this can be implemented and embedded within large complex organisations.
- IT literate with a good knowledge of Excel
- Experience of driving improvements in processes and reporting including automation
- Proven track record of driving significant transformation plans and improvements from start to finish
- Business partnering and interpersonal skills- specifically ability to effectively communicate technical matters in clear simple language to business partners around the world
- Influencing and collaboration skills, partnering with multiple stakeholders across the enterprise and external partners, including a network of tax advisors across the glob
- Strong understanding of industry and regulatory requirements (codes, standards, regulatory and legal) for Pharma sector
- Ability to develop diverse and high potential teams and talent management
- Efficient and timely management of reporting
- Ambassador for change with proven track record leading major cultural and organisational change initiatives
- Collaborative by nature and able to challenge respectfully and constructively
- Ability to manage multiple projects and demands on time in a culturally diverse region
- Experiences in global Indirect Tax team
- Experiences in team management and development (e.g. experiences of having direct reports or leading project teams)
- Experiences in a project to implement ERP systems and other Indirect Tax related software
- University degree;
- English conversational and business English (equivalent to TOEFL IBT 105+, or 7.5 IELTS, CAE- Cambridge English advanced exam, TOEIC Listening 400+, Reading 400+, Speaking 150+, Writing 150+), fluency in one or more of European languages
- Indirect Tax relevant certificates, master's degrees, or qualification
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.