Ref. Number: 22136 Department: Legal Department Job Type: Global Recruitment Posting Date: 30 August 2022 Closing Date: 20 September 2022 Chief Counsel - Institutional & Administrative
The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) is a multilateral development bank whose mission is financing the Infrastructure for Tomorrow-infrastructure with sustainability at its core. We began operations in Beijing in January 2016 and have since grown to 105 approved members worldwide. We are capitalized up to USD100 billion and Triple-A-rated by the major international credit rating agencies. Working with partners, AIIB meets clients' needs by unlocking new capital and investing in infrastructure that is green, technology-enabled and promotes regional connectivity.pital and investing in infrastructure that is green, technology-enabled and promotes regional connectivity. Responsibilities:
The position of Chief Counsel, Institutional & Administrative, Legal Department (LEG) demands that the incumbent has the skills and experience needed to assume primary accountability and leadership responsibility within LEG for managing the following aspects:
- Lead the Institutional and Administrative Unit within LEG, providing legal services to all functions of the Bank except Investment Operations and Treasury.
- Supervise, mentor, guide and support unit lawyers in their daily work.
- Provide legal and policy advice and support to the Corporate Secretary Vice Presidency and the Office of the President on the outreach to Member governments, admission of new Members, preparations for, and conduct of, the meetings of the Board of Governors, the Board of Directors, and other governance related matters.
- Provide legal advice on the interpretation of AIIB's constituent instrument and other legal instruments adopted or issued by the governing organs of AIIB.
- Advise on matters in relation to the privileges and immunities of the Bank and its personnel, including cooperation with the Bank's Headquarters State, among others.
- Perform as the legal advisor to entities hosted and/or administered by AIIB, including the Multilateral Cooperation Center for Development Finance.
- Provide legal support to the Administration Vice Presidency on administrative legal matters, including those in relation to human resources function and management, corporate procurement, communications and information disclosure, data privacy and the use of information technology.
- Advise the Ethics and Ombuds functions, staff disputes and on other workplace-related matters.
- Advise the Partnership function, including drafting and negotiating instruments on the Bank's partnership and cooperation with other international organizations and national governmental and non-governmental entities.
- Conduct research and draft memoranda, correspondence, legal opinions, papers, and notes concerning public international law and institutional and administrative law issues.
- Coordinate and collaborate in the legal field with other international organizations and development partners to advance AIIB's purpose and objectives in assigned areas.
- Lead institutional, departmental or unit initiatives, including knowledge management and publications.
- Perform other assignments at the General Counsel's request to further the superior performance of the functions of the Legal Department.
- Minimum 10 years relevant experience.
- Master's degree in law or equivalent and qualified to practice law in at least one jurisdiction.
- The highest level of technical competence in the field of public international law, UN law, and international organizations law.
- The skills and personality to manage and lead staff for the highest standards of legal services to clients.
- The ability to command the confidence of those with whom the incumbent works.
- Ability to work in close collaboration with the General Counsel and other members of LEG's Management Team.
- The experience needed for this position is likely to have been drawn from a combination of working at progressively senior levels in international organizations and/or government agencies. The position reports to the General Counsel.
AIIB is committed to diversity, transparency and inclusion. We believe our strength comes from having a team with the right diverse skills, experiences and abilities selected through a merit-based competitive process. We actively encourage applications from people from both within and outside AIIB members, regardless of nationality, religion, gender, race, disability or sexual orientation.
Previous experience and qualifications will determine the grade and job title at which successful applicants will enter AIIB.
Join us and help create a prosperous and sustainable Asia while growing your career in a diverse and innovative environment.