Head of Investment and Finance
Te whakahaere / The organisation:
Foundation North is New Zealand’s largest community trust holding $1.8bn of assets in perpetuity. With a vision to enhance lives, Foundation North provides funding and support to initiatives large and small, to respond to the communities of Tāmaki Makaurau (Auckland) and Te Tai Tokerau (Northland) now, and for generations to come.
Foundation North describes its purpose as:
Pūtea kaitiakitanga, hāpai oranga | To enhance lives through responsible guardianship of our investments and focussed funding, anchored by our commitment to Te Tiriti.
Foundation North’s funding supports organisations aligned with four focus areas:
- Hāpai te ōritetanga | Increased Equity Improving equity in our communities now and for future generations.
- Whakauru mai | Social Inclusion. Supporting approaches that reduce discrimination and racism and increase social inclusion.
- Whakahou taiao | Regenerative Environment. A regenerative environment approach supports a deeper understanding of the relationship between people and Te Taiao (the environment).
- Hāpori awhina | Community Support. Participation in positive activities improves community wellbeing.
With a warm and welcoming culture and high levels of employee engagement, the team works in collaboration toward its overarching purpose.
Stakeholders expect the Foundation to invest responsibly, including integrating Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) factors with regard to the impact on society and the planet into investment decision-making and ownership practices. An impact investment fund has been established.
Trustees and staff are committed to ensuring that Foundation North meets its obligations under Te Tiriti o Waitangi and takes into consideration the needs of Aotearoa New Zealand’s diverse society.
Te tūranga / The role:
As Head of Investment and Finance, you will be reporting to the CEO, and as part of the leadership team, you are charged with delivering the organisation’s strategy. The role holds three core functions:
- Investment management, monitoring, and development working closely with the Board of trustees, its subcommittees, and external advisors.
- Management of the finance function, including financial reporting, disclosure requirements, management reporting, audit, budgeting, and tax.
- Leadership of a small but highly skilled Investment and Finance team and monitoring the performance of external suppliers of service, particularly the Asset Consultant and Custodian.
Investment related functions will be a larger share of the role. You will be responsible for supporting the Board on good investment governance and ensuring internal investment operations are sound. This includes overseeing the review of and adherence to the SIPO (Statement of Investment Policies and Objectives), including overall portfolio strategic planning and asset allocation in conjunction with an external Asset Consultant.
Te tangata / The person:
This is a unique opportunity for someone to oversee finance and a significant long term investment portfolio within an organisation that is held in high esteem within the communities it serves. The successful person will need to be astute with a high degree of emotional and intellectual intelligence.
You will have the following demonstrable characteristics:
- Kia kotahi te hoe, ability to work as part of a team, paddling the waka together.
- A natural humility.
- Curiosity and an inquisitive nature: a desire to listen, learn and grow.
- A desire to continually strive to do better.
- Resilience and focus.
- Community minded with alignment to the values of the organisation.
The ideal background is someone who blends finance experience with an understanding of investment management at an institutional level. Alternatively, someone who has worked in financial institutions within finance, and has an interest in institutional investment management will be considered.
What you will bring:
- 10+ years’ experience in the investment sector, or finance within a financial institution.
- CA or CFA or similar qualification is desired.
- Demonstrable commercial and investment acumen.
- A proven track record of applying strategic thinking to advance kaupapa.
- Experience developing and leading effective teams.
- Delivery of finance as a business partner.
We look forward to discussing this unique and exciting opportunity to advance your career and provide you with a way to make a meaningful contribution.
Please contact Claire Ellis from Convergence Partners for more details: firstname.lastname@example.org
More searches like this
- Accounting/Audit/Tax Non-Banking Financial Institution (Consumer finance, Leasing, factoring, etc.) jobs in Full Time
- Corporate Finance Non-Banking Financial Institution (Consumer finance, Leasing, factoring, etc.) jobs in Full Time
- Other Non-Banking Financial Institution (Consumer finance, Leasing, factoring, etc.) jobs in Full Time