Description About this role
Are you interested in building innovative technology that shapes the financial markets? Do you like working at the speed of a startup, but want to tackle some of the world's most sophisticated problems? Do you want to work with, and learn from, hands-on leaders in technology and finance?
At BlackRock, we are looking for Software Engineers who like to innovate and solve sophisticated problems. We recognize that strength comes from diversity, and will embrace your outstanding skills, curiosity, and passion while giving you the opportunity to grow technically and as an individual.
With over USD $9 trillion of assets we have an outstanding responsibility: our technology empowers millions of investors to save for retirement, pay for college, buy a home and improve their financial well-being.
The Database Operations Team
is an integral part of Platform Operations (PO) which sits under the broader Aladdin Product Group. Platform Operations is responsible for operating and engineering the reliability, stability and performance of the firm's financial systems including Aladdin and ensuring its availability to our business partners and customers.
We are a globally distributed team spanning multiple regions and providing engineering & operational support for online transaction processing, data warehousing, data replication and distributed data processing platforms. Your role and impact
Data is the backbone of any world-class financial institution. The Database Operations Team is tasked with ensuring the resiliency and integrity of that data, whilst providing instantaneous access to a large global user base at BlackRock and across many Institutional Clients. As preeminent specialists on database technology, our team is involved in every facet of system design, implementation, tuning and monitoring, using a wide variety of industry-leading database technologies.
We are passionate about performance and innovation. From the top of the firm down, we embrace the diversity of values, identities and ideas brought forth by our employees and offer phenomenal flexibility to enhance work life balance Your responsibilities
The role requires providing operations, development and project support within the global database environment across various database platforms. Key responsibilities of the candidate are as follows:
Operational support of a wide variety of database technology
- Engineering, Administration and Operations of OLTP, OLAP, Data Warehousing database platforms and Distributed No-SQL platforms
- Collaboration with Infrastructure teams, application developers and business teams across multiple time zones to ensure the highest quality service to the Aladdin users
- Automation and Development of database operational, monitoring and maintenance toolsets to achieve the desired Scale and Efficiency
- Database Configuration Management, Capacity and Scale Management, Schema Releases/Consistency, Security, Disaster Recovery and Audit Management
- Management and ownership of Operational Incidents including root-cause analysis of critical issues, resolution and mitigation
Assess issues for severity, troubleshoot proactively and advise key stakeholders Focus on service impact and timely resolution of critical investment system issues Escalate outages until services are restored working in collaboration with Client Technical Services and other tech teams Coordinate with external vendor technology support when required. Once issues are resolved in the short term, focus on the root cause and long-term remediation Project-based participation :
Participate in major upgrades and migration/consolidation exercises Creatively explore and implement new product features Actively contribute to the Performance Tuning and Engineering activities Contribute to our software toolset :
Contribute to the monitoring and maintenance utilities in Perl, Python and Java Contribute to data captures to enable more in-depth analysis of the system. You have..
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field preferred
- Min. 5+ years of DBA OR IT experience, preferably in a similar role
- Experience with any database platforms like Apache Cassandra, Microsoft SQL Server, SAP Sybase, Sybase Replication, Oracle, PostgreSQL and data warehouse platforms like SAP Sybase IQ, Greenplum and Snowflake
- Exposure to Public Cloud Platform offerings like Microsoft Azure, Amazon (AWS) and Google (GCP)
- Exposure to programming languages like Python, Perl, Java, Go; automation tools like Ansible/AWX; source control systems like GIT and Azure DevOps
- Experience with Operating Systems like Linux and Windows
- Solid background in supporting mission-critical applications, performing deep technical analysis and problem-solving
- Demonstrating flexibility and willingness to different technologies and writing excellent code.
- Exposure to Project Management
- Keen passion for acquiring new technical skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with senior management from both IT and business areas
- Understanding of large-scale enterprise application setup across Datacenters.
- Willingness to work during weekends on-site on DBA activities and designated shift hours
- A passion for interactive troubleshooting and operational support and keen attention to detail, critical thinking and the urge to drive innovation
- Boundless creativity and a desire to constantly learn new technologies
- A belief in data-driven analysis and problem solving and knowledge and drive to scale technology to the needs of tomorrow
: Familiarity with Linux/Windows
- Proficient with all shell commands like grep, find sed, awk, ls, cp, netstat, etc.
- Proficient with commands to check CPU usage, memory usage and disk usage on a Unix/Linux system using OS native commands
If any of this excites you, we want to talk to you about your new role in our team Our benefits
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. Our hybrid work pilot
BlackRock's current hybrid work pilot is designed to help you experience the best of both worlds: the opportunity to connect with colleagues in person and the flexibility to work remotely, with greater time to focus on what's important to you. In line with local health guidance and regulations, employees are generally expected to work 3 days in the office and 2 days from home (on average) each week. For some business groups, more time may be required in the office, while greater flexibility may be in place for others. Our "One BlackRock" culture means you'll be supported to collaborate with your new colleagues while bringing your full self to work - wherever you are.
The health, safety and well-being of our people will always be our top priorities; we will continue to monitor local conditions and health advisories in making decisions about our work environments. About BlackRock
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children's educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment - the one we make in our employees. It's why we're dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit careers.blackrock.com | www.blackrock.com/corporate | Instagram: @blackrock | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to age, disability, family status, gender identity, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation and other protected attributes at law.