Manager of Investment Operations
Position Summary-Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Manager of Investment Operations is responsible for managing the day- to-day operations of the Investment Operations Department, as well as protecting and accounting for the System’s Invested Assets in accordance with System Investment policy and NYS Statues. The incumbent may attend meetings of the Internal Investment Committee and works closely with the Chief Financial Officer and members of the Internal Investment Committee to support investment information needs.
A bachelor’s degree and 9 years practical experience either directly engaged in, or in support of, investment portfolio management, trading, risk management, compliance, accounting, cash management, securities lending and/or reconciliation activities; Including at least five years in a managerial role overseeing such activities;
AND a CPA or CFA designation.
Experience working in the accounting, finance, or a related field, performing significant business analysis, developing and evaluating programs and procedures, articulating recommendations and delivering presentations may substitute for two years of the investment experience.
An advanced degree in finance, accounting, business administration, economics, statistics, computer science or related field of study may substitute for one year of experience.
The duties of the Manager of Investment Operations include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Ensure IOD provides timely, accurate, relevant information about the investments owned by TRS to staff decision makers, the statutory custodian, NYSTRS banks, regulatory agencies, and other authorized users of financial or investment information
- Develop and maintain strong communications with the investment areas, as well as the Actuary, Finance and Legal departments
- Maintain and coordinate periodic update of the Investment Policy Manual
- Implement technology solutions to ensure efficient and secure operations and improve the delivery of investment information between other departments and external trading
- Act as a primary liaison with outside managers, banks, and others with respect to investment operations, program accounting, reporting and compliance with laws and policies and contracts
- Oversee provision of information to appropriate external parties such as independent auditors, Dept of Treasury, DFS, the SEC and others
- In conjunction with appropriate investment managers, develop and implement operational risk containment procedures which focus on proactive oversight of investment activities
- Administer the activities of the department. Prepare and administer the department’s annual budget and business plan.
- Develop RFPs for various services including custodian bank, investment computer applications, computer hardware, investment information and services (pricing, performance, and management)
- Implement a business continuity plan to ensure mission critical investment operations continue. Ensure back-up procedures and disaster recovery plans are in place for critical business process.
- Ensure that adequate education, systems and resources are available to implement and administer TRS investment policies and investment program guidelines