Senior Director Impact Investing - Remote - US Based
Choosing a career with ECMC Group means joining a nonprofit corporation with a mission to help students succeed. With a vibrant mission and values, great benefits, and strong community involvement, ECMC Group companies are an ideal team to join.
- The Senior Director, Impact Investing is a principal/partner-level role within ECMC Group’s Education Impact Fund (“EIF”), a $250M evergreen corporate venture capital fund that aims to generate outsized positive impact in post secondary education and workforce development alongside financial returns. In collaboration with the Vice President of Impact Investing and other members of the investment team, the Senior Director will lead execution of the EIF investment mandate, including refining the fund’s investment thesis and approach, deal sourcing, transaction execution, and portfolio management, and governance. This role is suited for a passionate, experienced, and entrepreneurial investment professional looking to take on a senior leadership role and greater responsibility within an impact-focused venture capital investment platform.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Report to the VP and partner with team leadership to lead Education Impact Fund investments and initiatives.
- Develop robust investment theses to proactively identify, cultivate, and evaluate actionable impact investment opportunities that are aligned to EIF’s impact and return objectives.
- Provide hands-on leadership and support for all aspects of transaction activity – deal origination and sourcing, assessment of key market trends and dynamics, development of financial, qualitative, operating, and valuation analyses, due diligence, preparation of investment recommendations, structuring and negotiation of term sheets and definitive agreements.
- Actively collaborate with C-level management of portfolio companies and potential investments, including acting as a voting Board Member or Board Observer for ECMC Group portfolio investments.
- Develop and review investment memos and supporting presentations; as required, communicate and present to executive leadership, the Board of Directors, and Investment Committee for recommendations and approval.
- Work with external counsel, advisors, and consultants as needed for strategic or transaction support, and as customary to complete diligence practices.
- Build, implement, and continually improve team’s processes, models, workflows, and strategies for corporate impact investment activities.
- Manage or mentor junior team members responsible for partnering in execution of above stated goals and responsibilities.
- Develop and nurture strategic relationships with top level venture investors and other ecosystem partners, as well as represent EIF and ECMC Group externally, including at conferences, on investor and industry panels, in press releases, and other forums.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree
- 8+ years’ work experience. Work experience must be in strategy, finance or investment fields, including venture capital, private equity, investment banking, management consulting, corporate development, or in a product or technical role at a startup
- Experience leading venture investments end-to-end, covering all aspects of diligence, negotiation, structuring, and drafting of non-binding and definitive legal documents
- Exceptional oral and written communication and presentation skills; demonstrated ability to craft compelling investment theses, recommendations, and presentations that lead to decision-maker buy-in
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain strong relationships with colleagues, entrepreneurs, investors, and other stakeholders
- Demonstrated excellent analytical abilities, financial modeling skills and advanced knowledge of financial and accounting theory
- Experience succeeding within a collaborative, fast-paced, results-driven environment
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and think creatively to deliver high quality, thoughtful, and accurate work in a timely manner
- Demonstrated ability to effectively organize, plan, and lead projects, regularly communicating progress to appropriate stakeholders
- Mastery of Microsoft Office suite, including the ability to perform advanced analytics in Excel and create articulate presentations in PowerPoint
- Work experience in education or workforce development related field
- MBA from top tier graduate school
- Demonstrated ability to successfully manage a multitude of ongoing projects and priorities and navigate through ambiguous and challenging situations to establish clear objectives, timelines, and deliverables
- Demonstrated experience in impact investing and the education industry
Up to 25% of the time.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
ECMC Group is committed to ensuring our diverse, inclusive and equitable culture is built on a strong sense of belonging, where everyone feels seen, heard and encouraged to show up as their authentic self.