Director, Investment Operations and Compliance
Choosing a career with ECMC Group means joining a nonprofit corporation with a mission to help students succeed. With a vibrant mission and values, great benefits, and strong community involvement, ECMC Group companies are an ideal team to join.
Proud To Be Recognized as a 2022 Top Workplace by the Star Tribune
ECMC Group’s internal investment team manages a multi-billion dollar, globally diversified investment portfolio. The guiding principles and objectives of the portfolio are long-term, which leads the investment team to source and manage assets and strategies that span the liquidity spectrum. The investment portfolio’s assets are comprised of long-only public equities, hedge funds, private equity, real assets, direct investments, and structured loans.
The Director, Investment Operations and Compliance is a senior professional within ECMC Group’s internal investment team, responsible for all aspects of operations, including performance reporting, document fulfillment, statement reconciliation, data aggregation, vendor management, as well as implementation, integration, and management of all systems utilized by the investment office. Additional responsibilities include assisting with operational due diligence for current and prospective investment managers and acting as a liaison between the investment team and various other partners within ECMC Group such as legal, accounting and finance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Act as a key decision maker and leader for the implementation and structuring of investment decisions approved by the Investment Committee
- Lead operational due diligence efforts for current and prospective investment managers
- Lead legal document review and execution in partnership with senior investment staff and ECMC Group’s legal department
- Oversee & instruct day-to-day operational activities including cash management & forecasting, regulatory/compliance documentation requests, onboarding & termination of new/current managers
- Lead and manage all aspects of performance reporting and compliance
- Implement, maintain, and take direct ownership of various systems related to the management of the investment office and portfolio; ensure proper back-up of data within these systems
- Ensure a strong internal control environment within the Investment team
- Own the budgeting process and budget vs actual review process for the Investment team
- Lead and stay abreast of DEI/ESG efforts for the Investment team
- Serve as the primary liaison for the Investment team’s custodian/broker relationships, outside vendor, and internal partner relationships
- Drive continuous process improvements within the Investment team, leading to increased operational efficiency and accuracy
- Prepare and review of Investment Committee materials, as necessary
- Cultivate networks and relationships across the industry to stay abreast of key trends and best practices
- Drive strong results from direct reports by providing appropriate work direction, strategic guidance, and performance management; tailor work assignments to foster continuous development of direct reports
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting or a related discipline
- 7+ years of relevant experience, including investment operations, operational due diligence, and compliance
- Demonstrated experience managing, leading, and mentoring junior staff members
- Advanced knowledge of key operational, accounting, and reporting aspects of both liquid and illiquid assets and their application to an institutional multi-asset investment portfolio
- Advanced knowledge of performance calculations and reporting
- Knowledge of investment manager legal documents for review and execution purposes
- Work experience with a pension, endowment, foundation, OCIO or similar
- CIPM or other relevant designation
- Knowledge of working with APIs
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
ECMC Group is committed to ensuring our diverse, inclusive and equitable culture is built on a strong sense of belonging, where everyone feels seen, heard and encouraged to show up as their authentic self.