Research Analyst - U.S. Growth & Core Equity Team
William Blair Investment Management is committed to building enduring relationships with our clients. We work closely with private and public pension funds, insurance companies, endowments, foundations, and sovereign wealth funds, as well as financial advisors. We are 100% active-employee-owned with broad-based ownership. Our investment teams are solely focused on active management and employ disciplined, analytical research processes across a wide range of strategies, including U.S. equity, non-U.S. equity, emerging markets debt, and multi-asset. William Blair is based in Chicago with global resources providing expertise and solutions to meet our clients’ evolving needs.
JOB SUMMARY & RESPONSIBILITIES:
William Blair Investment Management’s U.S. Growth & Core Equity research team is responsible for identifying mispriced securities of quality companies that will generate excess returns for clients over time. The team identifies these investments through a combination of rigorous fundamental research and a disciplined process that emphasizes team collaboration. In an effort to build out our research capabilities across the entire core universe, we are seeking a generalist Research Analyst to identify attractive large cap core/value investment opportunities primarily to support our U.S. Equity Sustainability strategy, but also our All Cap Growth, Large Cap Growth, and any relevant future product offerings. Specific responsibilities include:
- Identify and recommend new investment ideas that are suitable for investment management clients to assist portfolio managers in generating excess returns. Continue to analyze and monitor developments that impact portfolio holdings for which the analyst is responsible.
- Perform primary fundamental analysis on individual companies, as well as industries and sectors as needed.
- Make field trips, interview company executives, and attend industry conferences to stay abreast of changes in company fundamentals and/or industry trends.
- Proactively, clearly, and concisely communicate investment recommendations to portfolio managers and other analysts.
- Develop and maintain research relationships including company managements, industry contacts, and research vendors.
- Participate in marketing meetings with consultants, advisors, clients and prospects.
- Participate in other projects as requested by management.
- 7+ years of related investment research experience required
- Bachelor’s degree required; MBA and/or CFA preferred.
- Experience incorporating and/or a desire to incorporate ESG/sustainability risks and opportunities into investment decisions.
- Effectively prioritize time and manage multiple tasks as prices change and issues arise.
- Ability to model and analyze various financial metrics, business strategies, and valuation scenarios.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Work well as a member of research and portfolio teams.