Equity Research Associate
EQUITY RESEARCH ASSOCIATE
ABOUT THE TEAM:
- William Blair’s sell-side equity research team is responsible for delivering superior investment ideas and value-added perspective for over 600 quality growth companies. Through exhaustive fundamental research and unique insight derived from independent thinking, the team’s award-winning analysts work tirelessly to identify companies that can deliver superior investment returns for clients. Acting as the company's laboratory for new investment ideas, it specializes in providing investment analysis on companies in the following industry sectors: consumer; financial services and technology; global industrial infrastructure; global services; healthcare; and technology, media, and communications.
JOB SUMMARY & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assemble and validate data on quality growth companies using internal and external data sources. Collect information on industry events, company financials and investment information, and other relevant data to support fundamental research objectives. Evaluate potential data sources and ensure data complies with firmwide data standards.
- Assist senior Research Analysts in defining and documenting objectives and approaches for specific research projects and studies. Conduct research using predefined parameters. Build and/or update financial models and other statistical data to conduct security analyses and identify opportunities to achieve significant investment returns. Communicate findings to Research team and refine analyses based on team input.
- Prepare internal and external written reports, notes, presentations, and other materials to communicate research findings, news events investment ideas and opinions resulting from security analyses.
- Visit companies, attend conferences and other relevant events. Build and maintain relationships with company executives. Document contact points and information obtained to assist in analysis activities.
- Identify and formulate new investment ideas, and issue opinions and recommendations to clients on securities and companies in targeted industry groups in order to generate new business activity.
- Respond to inquiries from clients, investment teams, sales and marketing and the general public regarding individual securities or industry groups.
- Ensure all work activities are in compliance with applicable rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Additional responsibilities as requested.
- Bachelor’s degree required with concentration in Finance or Accounting preferred.
- Minimum of two-three years related work experience.
- CFA, CPA, or technical designation preferred.
- Strong conceptual and critical thinking skills.
- Advanced accounting and financial statement analysis skills.
- Proficiency in building computer generated financial models.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills, and the ability to convey complex financial information in an understandable manner to various audiences.
- Client service oriented. Commits to satisfying internal and external customers.
- Ability to work independently in support of team goals.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Bloomberg, and other investment industry standard data sources.
- SIE Exam, Series 7, 63, 86, and 87 required (must be obtained within first 180 days).