Responsible Investment Credit Analyst
1 day left
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Department: Fixed Income
Location: New York Office
Title: Responsible Investment Credit Analyst
Reports to: Head of US Credit Research
At APG we focus on the future: sustainable, long-term returns that enable our Dutch pension fund clients and their participants to enjoy a good retirement in a livable world now and for generations to come. As one of the largest pension fiduciaries in the world, we carefully consider risk, return, and cost in balance with the social and sustainability performance of each investment we make. APG invests €627 billion (November 2021) globally, with USD $162 billion of that (December 2021) managed out of APG Asset Management US Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary located in New York City. Our 175 professionals in New York invest across the public and private markets in the Americas.
For more information about APG, visit www.apg.nl/en
About the Fixed Income Team
You will be part of the Credits team in the Fixed Income (FI) building block of APG Asset Management. The FI block is segmented into four broad groups: Credits, Alternative Credits, Treasuries & ILD, and Emerging Markets. The Credits team consists of 40 investment professionals of which about half are based in New York. Credits invests across several asset classes including Corporates, MBS, and Structured credit.
APG is at the forefront of responsible investing (RI) with a view to delivering sustainable risk-adjusted return to our clients and their end beneficiaries. Responsible Investing is part of APG AM’s mission statement, and we have a dedicated RI Investment Belief. In that vein, FI works closely with the Global Responsible Investment & Governance (GRIG) team which consists of 25 members based in Amsterdam, New York, and Hong Kong.
Through deep collaboration with GRIG, we implement and advance APG’s approach to responsible investing in FI and focus on three transition themes: climate change & transition to sustainable energy; conservation of natural resources; and digitalization of society.
This is an important role in helping to implement our clients’ ambitions and making a difference for the 4.7 million pensioners that we serve.
About the Position
Your role will primarily be research focused to conduct ESG due diligence for investments and engagements to assess sustainability & governance performance of investees. You will work closely with portfolio managers and analysts in FI and liaising with GRIG. The role has a strong data analytics component.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
• Research: Collaborating with analysts, you will conduct company specific and issue related research to support and integrate RI into the investment process. Analyze company financials and sustainability reports as well as third party ESG reports. Evaluate company controversies and assess materiality of potential reputational damage and/or financial impact. Conduct detailed research around ESG and Sustainability themes (i.e. hydrogen, electrification) to help uncover potential investment risks and opportunities.
• Identifying, acquiring, and processing data on how corporations are performing on sustainability and governance issues.
• Engagement: You will also be instrumental in drafting engagement plans/strategies as well as initiating engagements with companies and managing the life cycle of an engagement.
• Policy Development: You will be working with FI and GRIG analysts to help further develop and refine RI policies (i.e. energy transition, biodiversity, human rights, corp governance) and Sustainable Development Investments (SDIs) that can be incorporated into the investment process.
• As on the world’s largest investors in green, social, and sustainability bonds, you will help APG FI continue its leadership in the sustainable debt markets by actively evaluating labelled bonds, engaging with issuers and market participants on deal structures, developing/promoting best practices, and conducting related market analysis and research.
• Advancing digitalization: Work with data analysts in developing/enhancing ESG related data sets in support of integrated dashboards with fundamental data.
• With a strong team ethos, you are expected to contribute to FI team performance and take on other responsibilities and supporting regular and ad hoc client requests.
• At least five years of relevant professional experience in a corporate environment in business, investment (equity or credit), investor relations, and/or sustainability roles, with a strong understanding of how public markets work.
• We are looking for a person who is intrinsically motivated to work on sustainability and governance issues within an investment environment and confident in working with industry and GRIG analysts on these. S/he thrives in a dynamic environment and possesses strong intercultural, communication, and organizational skills. You are diligent and can process large amounts of data with eye for detail to perform in depth research.
• Understands how environmental, social and governance issues pose risks to our investments and can impact risk and returns.
• MBA and/or CFA would be a plus.
Compensation: Based on experience.
If interested, please send your resume and cover letter (including compensation expectations) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
APG Asset Management US Inc. (APG) is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, age, sex, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, national origin, disability or handicap, veteran status, sexual orientation or any other classification protected by applicable law.