Equity Associate - Small Cap Growth
SMALL CAP GROWTH EQUITY ASSOCIATE
Founded in 1937, Putnam Investments is a global money management firm with over 75 years of experience helping individuals and institutions pursue their investment goals. Putnam manages assets across equity, fixed income, asset allocation, and alternative strategies. Active, fundamental research, innovation, and risk management drive our approach to investing. Our global presence includes offices in Boston, London, Frankfurt, Tokyo, Singapore, and Sydney, all united by our collaborative culture and singular focus on client objectives. For more information, please visit www.putnam.com.
This is a great career for a creative, hard-working, self-driven and passionate person – you will develop top tier investment analysis skills while researching companies and their industries. An Associate on the small cap growth team will work to support a team of analysts and the portfolio manager as they research and analyze a wide range of companies across sectors focusing on small cap growth equities. The goal of the Associate is to support the research process and help the team develop differentiated insights that allow for high conviction investment opportunities. There is an opportunity over-time for the Associate to broaden stock coverage responsibilities and increase their impact.
- Support the SCG team – work closely with a team of analysts and the portfolio manager to identify attractive investment opportunities, build financial models, prepare and host company meetings, and present investment conclusions.
- Build and leverage industry expertise – perform analysis on companies across a range of industry subgroups, building relationships with company management teams, as well as with suppliers, customers, and competitors. Leverage that expertise to anticipate trends for each company, including an understanding of material ESG issues that will affect long-term fundamentals.
- Identify and develop insights on key stock drivers – figure out ‘what matters’ for each stock, performing creative and differentiated research to build conviction around likely outcomes for each critical variable and the resulting implications for companies’ profitability and stock prices.
- Communicate effectively to drive impact – articulate the investment case clearly through both written and verbal communication, iterate with incremental analysis to support or disprove the theses, and interact closely with the SCG team to keep them appraised of changes.
Education, Work Experience, and Key Traits
- 1-3 years of relevant experience in equity analysis, accounting, or corporate strategy.
- BA or BS degree required. Candidates with superior undergraduate academic records from all majors are encouraged to apply.
- CFA (or progress towards a CFA) preferred but not required.
- Self-driven individuals who thrive in an autonomous environment and are excited about the opportunity to make a meaningful impact, while serving as a fiduciary to Putnam’s shareholders, will do best.
- Prior work experience in the financial industry is helpful but not necessary. We are looking for a demonstration of passion that can be applied to investing.
- Strong work ethic coupled with the desire to win.
- Ability to learn quickly and to effectively convey conclusions.
- Team player; additive to overall process with positive attitude, leadership by example, and active involvement at all levels to advance the investment dialogue.
At Putnam we are committed to a diverse workforce and take positive steps to ensure equal opportunity in our recruitment process. We also undertake to hire, develop and retain the most talented individuals by valuing the varied skills that you bring.
Candidates must be a U.S. citizen or national, refugee, asylee, or lawful permanent resident.