University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff Investment Fellow
WIT, LLC is the investment office supporting the Walton Family Foundation, with team members in Washington D.C., Bentonville, Arkansas and Denver, Colorado. The team is hosting five interns from the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff (UAPB), a historically Black college, for ten weeks this summer. The primary goal of the UAPB Fellow is to introduce students to the investment industry and prepare them for future success in an investment career.
The Fellow will lead the investing internship program and will focus on:
- Introducing the investment industry, including family and non-profit investment offices, asset managers, bank custodians and the consulting industry.
- Developing investment knowledge and basic skills (finance, business, economics, Excel).
- Enhancing presentation skills (Powerpoint and speaking to a large audience).
- Fostering a network of industry contacts.
The internship program is ten weeks, including one week of remote reading, three weeks in Bentonville, Arkansas and six weeks in Washington, DC, and includes a one-week trip to Chicago. Students participating in the program will be between their Sophomore and Junior year.
To achieve the Internship Program goals, the Fellow will provide a combination of traditional investment-focused lectures, supplemented by WIT investment professionals, presentations from external portfolio managers, career development opportunities and an investment project that will culminate in a presentation at the end of the internship.
This is essentially a full-time summer teaching position embedded in a large investment office. This requires some preparation prior to the program’s start. Compensation is $30,000, plus airfare and housing in Bentonville and Washington, DC. The Fellow will serve as an independent contractor of UAPB.
- Degree in economics, finance, investments or business.
- Experience teaching investments, economics or finance, ideally at the college level.This includes current college instructors or industry professionals with prior teaching experience. Graduate students focusing in these areas are also encouraged to apply.
- Experience designing and leading a new teaching course.This is a new addition to the internship program, presenting an opportunity to shape the internship program.There is no established path to follow.The ideal candidate would find these features appealing.
- A strong desire to mentor college students.We expect this program to be transformational for the interns, so a strong mentor would excel in this role.
- Desire to collaborate with experienced investment professionals at WIT, other investment firms, banks and other institutions.Successful integration of industry expertise into this program is a must.
- Practical investment industry experience and a network of industry contacts are a plus.
- The internship program is June 6 – August 12.We can be flexible on the dates and length for the Fellowship if your schedule requirements differ from the internship dates.
Required Documents to Apply:
List of three Professional References (name, email, business title), Resume, and a Cover Letter.
The UAPB is a public comprehensive HBCU 1890 Land-Grant Institution. The University embraces its land-grant mission of providing cutting edge research, teaching, outreach, and service programs that respond to the social and economic needs of the state and region. Its mission is to promote and sustain excellent academic programs that integrate quality instruction, research, and student learning experiences responsive to the needs of a racially, culturally, and economically diverse student population. Ultimately, the University is dedicated to providing access and opportunity to academically deserving students and producing graduates who are equipped to excel through their contributions and leadership in a 21st century national and global community.
Recruitment Contact Information:
All application materials must be uploaded to the University of Arkansas System Career Site https://uasys.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/UASYS
Please do not send to listed recruitment contact.
For best consideration, materials should be submitted by February 15, 2022.