Investment Consultant - Summit, NJ
Callan LLC – Summit, NJ
About the Position
As an investment consultant on Callan’s Summit consulting team, you’ll work directly with institutional plan sponsors and asset owners to help them solve complex problems. You’ll manage client relationships, as well as conduct investment research and strategic investment projects. You’ll also work closely with Callan’s specialty research groups to provide asset allocation, implementation advice, manager research, and monitoring services to institutional investors. Our goal is to identify a candidate with deep investment knowledge, intellectual curiosity, an insatiable interest in capital markets, and a true appreciation for the value of building strong relationships with clients.
Please note: Our day-to-day environment is changing rapidly due to COVID-19, and Callan is committed to prioritizing your safety. Our ideal candidate will be able to adapt to these changes, which means initially working remotely, moving to a hybrid work schedule, and potentially returning to the office full time.*
What’s Unique about This Role?
Callan believes that our organization and culture are made stronger through diverse perspectives and experiences. In collaboration with diverse teams throughout the company, you’ll work with some of the highest quality and most complex clients to help them achieve their investment goals. Along with having an appreciation for Callan’s unique and collaborative culture, your ability to demonstrate success in the skill sets we seek is of greater importance than years of experience.
- Work as part of a consulting team on existing client relationships, developing client work plans, attending regular meetings, and marshalling resources to deliver best-in-class work in asset allocation, manager structure, selection, monitoring, and ongoing education
- Collaborate on asset/liability and asset/spending studies, asset allocation reviews, and investment structure analysis
- Monitor existing client portfolios by reviewing periodic performance measurement reports, attending ad-hoc manager meetings, and collaborating on annual manager reviews
- Lead searches for new investment managers, either for new allocations or to replace existing managers
- Research and respond to all client requests
- Make presentations to clients, as necessary
- Be responsive to client and colleagues’ needs and strive for excellence in all areas
Prospective Clients/New Business Generation
- Actively prospect and generate new client relationships
- Research prospective clients and work collaboratively with Summit-based consultants and regional offices, as necessary
- Collaborate with Summit associate consultants to respond to requests for proposal, contributing to writing comprehensive proposals to ensure the delivery of high-quality materials
- Work closely with Summit associate consultants to create and customize finals presentation materials
- Develop and actively participate in finals presentations
- Assist in developing customized educational information and/or presentations for clients
- Coordinate research efforts for clients
- Contribute to topical white papers, blog posts, and other research
- Represent Callan and participate (or present) at industry events and those events sponsored by the Callan Institute
Job Skills and Requirements
- Deep knowledge of the capital markets in general and the investment landscape in particular
- Ability to form supportable opinions and succinctly communicate to coworkers and clients
- Demonstrated experience developing new client relationships
- Ability to work with a team in a collegial fashion
- Success managing multiple client relationships and projects simultaneously
- Ability to communicate clearly, concisely, and confidently in writing and in presentations
- Demonstrated passion for learning and seeking new ideas
- Fantastic sense of humor. (Trust us. You’ll need it.)
- Self-motivated and proactive
- Emphasis on team over self
- Willingness and ability to travel
- Ongoing desire to learn and a drive to improve
- Bachelor’s degree required; graduate degree preferred
- CFA and/or CAIA preferred, or progress toward one or both designations
Compensation, Benefits, and Training
At Callan, you can expect:
- A generous compensation and benefits package, including base salary, bonus, 401(k) matching, profit sharing, health/medical/dental/vision benefits, monthly communications stipend, tuition assistance, and more
- Training for all Callan databases, research, and other systems
- Access to team-building events, community outreach opportunities, and wellness events
As an employee-owned firm, Callan is committed to giving long-term successful professionals an opportunity to become equity partners.
Please email a cover letter and resume referencing “Investment Consultant - Summit” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Founded in 1973, Callan is a one of the largest employee-owned investment consulting firms in the U.S., with more than $3 trillion in assets under advisement. We provide thoughtful, research-driven advice to large institutional investors including pension and defined contribution plans, endowments, foundations, insurance companies, and health care organizations. Because we are independently owned and not beholden to outside shareholders, we help raise the industry standard by orienting everything we do around our clients’ goals.
Callan has 190 employees and is headquartered in San Francisco with five additional offices throughout the U.S. Learn more about us at www.callan.com.
Callan LLC is an equal opportunity employer.
*Subject to applicable law, only fully vaccinated employees will be permitted to enter Callan offices, travel on company business, and attend company sponsored events. A proof of vaccination will be required upon hire.