Be Boring. Make Money.™ is our investment approach, but we are anything but dull. We are a diverse team of professionals—all with a shared goal: to be the best.
We celebrate our unique and independent culture. We take pride in doing things a little differently than other investment firms. Our pursuit of excellence means that a career with Mawer is demanding, however, interesting challenges are plentiful, and innovative ideas, diverse opinions, and teamwork are expected and rewarded regardless of title or tenure.
We are currently seeking an exceptional colleague to join our investment research team. We look for self-motivated individuals willing and able to enhance our research process, strengthen our culture, and help build Mawer into one of the best global investment management firms.
- Execute orders in North and South American markets, advising on liquidity, impact, and strategy for trade implementation
- Back up EMEA trading
- Integrate with the rest of our Research team
- Understand and communicate basic fundamental equity analysis on our global holdings to the research team in a timely and effective manner as well as communicate macroeconomic activity that may have an impact on current or future performance
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with our global broker network along with other counterparties and educate them on Mawer, our investment philosophy, and trading strategy
- Liaise with Investment Operations to ensure timely settlement of all global equity trades and become an operational expert
- Learn and understand global market trading rules and reporting requirements and look for ways to improve our processes
Education & Skills
- Passion for trading and investing
- Detail oriented
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong negotiation skills
- Independently motivated
- Track record of excellence
- Market structure knowledge in Europe and North America considered an asset
- Knowledge of electronic trading providers, their strategies, and how they interact with individual markets considered an asset
- Desire for self-improvement with a competitive and winning attitude
- Must be willing and able to work flexible hours trading as required
- Must be willing and able to travel as required
- A minimum of 1 year of trading experience
- CFA or willingness to obtain, preferred
- Directly contribute to the firm’s growth as a global investment manager.
- Learn and work alongside high-performing individuals within a team that has consistently delivered exceptional long-term investment results and the highest levels of client satisfaction (our client retention is 99%).
- Be a part of a meritocracy in which the quality of ideas supersedes hierarchy. At Mawer, talented individuals can progress quickly, regardless of tenure or experience.
- We have a unique culture—one that emphasizes integrity, clients’ interests, excellence, teamwork, and long-term thinking.
How to Apply?
If this sounds of great interest to you, please apply now.
Applicants should provide one PDF including a résumé (no cover letters please), most recent university transcripts, and a response to each of the following questions (maximum one page):
- Imagine yourself 10 years from now (or longer if you prefer) and that you’ve accomplished all your life’s goals over this time frame. Describe the scene. What have you achieved and what makes it ideal?
- Tell us about your best negotiation/trade (doesn’t have to be stock market related). What were the circumstances, what was the outcome, and what did you learn?
Apply online: https://www.mawer.com/careers
Deadline: February 7th, 11:59pm
Must be eligible to work in Canada. Only applications that include all required materials will be considered.
Established in 1974, Mawer Investment Management Ltd. is an independent firm that provides world-class, global investment management services to a broad range of institutional and individual clients. We are proud of our reputation as one of Canada’s most respected investment management firms and strive to earn such respect by continually delivering long-term investment excellence, developing strong client partnerships, and living our core values. Mawer currently manages approximately $97 billion in assets and employs over 200 people in Calgary, Toronto, the U.S., and Singapore.
No telephone inquiries please.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.