Senior Quantitative Portfolio Analyst
Senior Quantitative Portfolio Analyst
NYSIF Investments - New York City
The New York State Insurance Fund (NYSIF), with over $20 billion of assets under management, is seeking a Senior Quantitative Portfolio Analyst to join its investment risk management team. This position reports to the Chief Risk Officer. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Senior Quantitative Portfolio Analysts are an integral part of NYSIF Investments, which manages or oversees portfolios across multiple asset classes. Analysts work closely with the Chief Risk Officer and Chief Investment Officer on portfolio composition, asset-liability
strategies, portfolio risk management, and the development/enhancement of portfolio analytics tools, outputs and deliverables, among other initiatives.
Specific duties may include, but are not limited to:
• Quantify risk exposures for all NYSIF portfolios, including those investing in fixed-income securities, equities and alternative assets
• Work closely with Chief Risk Officer and Chief Investment Officer on portfolio optimization and scenario analysis, and help devise strategies to achieve stated portfolio objectives
• Use various systems (Bloomberg PORT, Aladdin, Yield Book and Intex) and compile exposure and risk related data
• Measure and monitor various factor exposures across asset portfolios
• Measure, monitor, manage and report on various portfolio risk metrics such as VaR, credit VaR, expected shortfall, tracking error, stress testing, and asset-liability analysis.
• Participate and contribute to regular portfolio strategy, credit review and risk
management meetings, and contribute with ideas to improve portfolio structure, risk measurement, investment process, etc.
• Generate risk reports on both internally and externally managed portfolios for NYSIF colleagues and other stakeholders
• Produce and review performance attribution analysis and reports for internally managed portfolios, and assist in this work for externally manager portfolios.
Bachelor’s degree with strong academic qualifications. Candidate should have a minimum of 5 years of experience in a comparable role. Preference will be given to candidates who have worked at a “buy-side” institution, obtained a Master’s level degree in finance or a quantitative discipline, or possess the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) credential.
Seeking candidates with the following attributes:
• Experience with portfolio management software. Five years background and knowledge of analytic systems including Blackrock Aladdin and Bloomberg PORT (Intex a plus)
• Strong financial modeling skills
• Prior background in fixed-income analytics (equity market experience a plus)
• Competent programming skills (VBA) and proficiency in security modeling
• Deep interest in capital markets
• Solid mathematical understanding of fixed-income instruments
Primary Location: New York City
Telecommuting: NYSIF has a telecommuting program
To Apply: Please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note the following New York State Civil Service employment information:
• Jurisdictional classification: Exempt
• Bargaining unit: Management/Confidential
• Civil Service title: Special Investment Officer
NYSIF was established in 1914 as part of the original enactment of the New York State Workers’ Compensation Law. NYSIF's mission is to guarantee the availability of workers’ compensation insurance at the lowest possible cost to all New York employers and to foster healthy outcomes with timely, appropriate indemnity and medical payments to injured workers,
while maintaining a solvent fund. For more than a century, NYSIF has fulfilled the dual roles for which it was created: to compete with other carriers to ensure a fair marketplace and to be a guaranteed source of coverage for employers who cannot secure coverage elsewhere.
NYSIF is the largest workers’ compensation carrier in New York State and among the 10 largest in the nation, insuring more than 145,000 policyholders with over $1.4 billion in annual premium and $20 billion in assets. A self-supporting insurance carrier, NYSIF operates without taxpayer funding.
In addition to workers’ compensation insurance, NYSIF provides disability benefits coverage for off-the-job injuries to more than 65,000 New York employers. In 2018, NYSIF added Paid Family Leave as a component of its disability benefits solution providing New Yorkers with job protected
paid time away from work to care for their families.