Investment Fund Accountant
4 days left
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Investment Fund Accountant
Calgary, AB or Toronto, ON
Be Boring. Make Money.™ is our investment approach, but we are anything but dull. We are a diverse team of professionals—all with a shared goal: to be the best.
We celebrate our unique and independent culture. We take pride in doing things a little differently than other investment firms. Our pursuit for excellence means that a career with Mawer is demanding; however, interesting challenges are plentiful, and innovative ideas, diverse opinions, and teamwork are expected and rewarded regardless of title and tenure.
We are looking for an Investment Fund Accountant to be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day accounting and administration of the Mawer Funds in Canada and the U.S. This currently includes 14 Canadian mutual funds, five Canadian pooled funds, two U.S. Collective Investment Trusts, and four private U.S. LLC funds.
This position reports to the Head of Investment Fund Management (IFM).
Accountable for monitoring and overseeing fund administration activities to ensure appropriate internal controls are in place to certify that unitholder interests, regulatory requirements, and fiduciary duties are being properly carried out for all Mawer Funds.
- Develop and maintain fund budgets including the monitoring of actual vs budgeted expenses; review monthly A class management fees; review and maintain any fund subsidies; prepare IRC expense report
- Manage the annual and semi-annual financial reporting cycles, including the preparation of risk disclosures for inclusion in the financial statements notes, MRFPs, and other regulatory reporting as required
- Manage the income/capital gains distribution process, including associated tax filings
- Manage HST process for the funds, including review/approval of quarterly returns
- Assist in the preparation of continuous disclosure documents, such prospectuses, MRFPs, and financial statements in accordance with regulations
- Participate in new fund launches
- Provide oversight of fund accounting and trust accounting services provided by the custodian
- Develop and maintain IFM policies and procedures
- Develop and improve controls to ensure adequate financial and operational oversight of our current and future investment products
- Other fund accounting functions as required
Education, Skills & Qualifications
- Must have a CPA (Chartered Professional Accountant) designation
- A minimum of five years’ relevant, professional experience from within investment management, fund accounting, investment consulting, or investment custodian environment is required
- Understanding of the national instruments and applicable securities regulations as they pertain to IFM and PM registered firms
- Familiarity of investment administration and operations in a multi-asset class environment, as well as knowledge of mutual fund service providers (e.g. custodians, transfer agents, etc.)
- Thorough understanding of financial reporting standards, including IFRS and U.S. GAAP
- Working experience of data visualization tools (e.g. Power BI/Tableau)
- IBOR/ABOR (e.g. SimCorp) experience an asset
- Highly developed analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills
- Quick thinker, business savvy, naturally curious, with a meticulous attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work effectively both independently and within a team environment
- Directly contribute to the firm’s growth as a global investment manager.
- Learn and work alongside high-performing individuals within a team that has consistently delivered exceptional long-term investment results and the highest levels of client satisfaction (our client retention is 99%).
- Be a part of a meritocracy in which the quality of ideas supersedes hierarchy. At Mawer, talented individuals can progress quickly, regardless of tenure or experience.
- We offer the potential for ownership over time based on the firm’s selection criteria.
- We have a unique culture—one that emphasizes integrity, clients’ interests, excellence, teamwork, and long-term thinking.
- A flexible, hybrid work environment: we offer our team the ability to choose where they are most productive.
Established in 1974, Mawer Investment Management Ltd. is an independent firm that provides world-class, global investment management services to a broad range of institutional and individual clients. We are proud of our reputation as one of Canada’s most respected investment management firms and strive to earn such respect by continually delivering long-term investment excellence, developing strong client partnerships, and living our core values. Mawer currently manages approximately $91 billion in assets and employs over 200 people in Calgary, Toronto, the U.S., and Singapore.