Steel Reef is a Calgary-based midstream company focused on delivering infrastructure and midstream energy solutions to customers in the oil and gas industry in Western Canada and North Dakota.
We are proud of Steel Reef’s unique, industry-leading skillset in contracting, constructing, operating and optimizing gas, gas liquids and other oil related infrastructure in the Williston Basin and the Bakken resource play, top-tier geological formations. We focus on, and specialize in, flare gas capture. Steel Reef contributes to the global effort to reduce emissions by managing our own. Our team creates and offers opportunities to sustainably and economically reduce environmental impacts for ourselves and our customers.
Steel Reef’s corporate purpose is all encompassing and all about our stakeholders. Together, we will enhance the energy community by protecting and supporting our employees; partnering with our customers to find innovative ways to increase netbacks; creating value for our investors; giving back to our communities; and capturing associated natural gas to prevent emissions and support government regulations.
Our social performance starts with safe, reliable operations. We live by our values of discipline, respect and excellence. Our actions promote engagement, accountability, equal voice, innovation and creativity in our workforce. We deeply respect our stakeholders and the communities in which we operate
The Financial Analyst will be based in the Calgary office working in the Treasury group, reporting directly to the Finance Manager. This position is responsible to provide financial and fundamental analysis to management to enable them to make sound operational business decisions. They will work closely with a cross departmental team to ensure accuracy, efficiency and integrity in corporate development opportunities. Other responsibilities will include assisting in the continued build-out and upkeep of Steel Reef’s fundamental’s platform which includes conducting area analyses, assessing oil and gas supply/demand trends and primary influences, assessing energy transition projects, evaluating micro and macro production growth outlooks as well as maintaining competitor analyses and a transaction metrics database. Support will also be provided to Sr. Analysts within the Treasury group.
• Conduct research and provide analysis to support acquisition and divestiture decisions;
• Develop financial models to assess economic investment decisions and the determination of pay out;
• Support the development of new growth opportunities by identifying, evaluating and assisting in negotiating the acquisition of assets;
• Manage data rooms and coordinate/assist in the review of due diligence materials across all internal groups;
• Support ongoing post-acquisition integration initiatives as required;
• Support Sr. Analysts with the ongoing build-out and upkeep of area analyses, competitor analyses, production growth outlooks, counterparty credit reviews and a historical transaction database;
• Fundamental research generation and dissemination of both traditional oil and gas and energy transition;
• Track key industry statistics and information used to support fundamental analysis, acquisitions, business development initiatives, and corporate strategy;
• Review, summarize and provide timely updates on critical oil- and gas-related news flow to Steel Reef employees and the Executive Team.
Required Skills, Experience & Education:
• BComm or other relevant undergraduate degree;
• Professional accounting designation (CPA or equivalent) preferred;
• MBA or CFA designation is considered an asset;
• 5 years of related experience – preference to those with experience in the energy industry.
• Advanced financial analytics/modeling skills;
• A strong aptitude for quantitative and qualitative research and analysis;
• Effective organization and time management skills with the ability to meet tight deadlines;
• Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with all levels of the organization;
• Strong team focus and initiative skills;
• Excellent communication skills both written and verbal;
• Advanced MS Office skills, particularly Excel.
*Our Steel Reef team is fully returning to the office January 4, 2022. To protect the health and safety of our workforce, we are requiring all employees and visitors show proof of full vaccination, a medical exemption letter or produce a self-purchased negative COVID-19 test result prior to entering the Calgary Office.
Working closely together and supporting each other are fundamental aspects of our culture and how we work. Connecting in a common workspace is key to helping us reinvigorate our corporate culture and enable more effective communication and collaboration.
*All positions require background screening. Safety Sensitive roles will be conditional upon completion of pre-employment drug and alcohol test.
Steel Reef welcomes all qualified applicants to send a resume and cover letter to HR@steelreef.ca. Posting will close January 10, 2022 or once a suitable candidate is found.
Steel Reef thanks all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.