Senior Analyst, Corporate Planning
Why work at Heartland Generation Ltd?
The Heartland Generation team is always expanding. We’re looking for power players who share our values and can contribute to the spirit of a forward thinking, proactive, agile and professional team that puts customers first. Learn more about what joining our team could look like for you.
As we begin to shape the Heartland Generation story, we embrace our roots and are inspired to create a dynamic, fresh company. Looking forward, we will build on our foundation of operational excellence as we define our unique place within Canada’s energy markets.
As a group of passionate team members, we provide safe, reliable and affordable energy to our customers. With integrity, agility and a deep dedication to building trust, we’re here to power and empower the lives of our team, our customers and the communities where we live and work.
How do you fit in?
Reporting to the Manager, Corporate Planning & Performance Reporting the Senior Analyst, Corporate Planning plays a critical role in supporting the organization’s strategic direction through financial modeling, forecasting, valuation and economic analysis. The role acts as a solution provider, regularly updating and maintaining a robust corporate planning model that forecasts future cash flow performance, provides meaningful and relevant financial analysis and the prepares materials for the Executive and Board of Directors with respect to the budget, long term forecast and strategy.
What you’ll be doing:
- Consolidating budget and planning information into the financial model and developing current and long-term forecast information to support current business and operational activities
- Supporting banking initiatives, equity distribution and capital planning activities and preparing valuations
- Providing business analysis and support relating to the evaluation of the efficiency, effectiveness and competitiveness of current and future projects, commercial activities and potential strategic transactions
- In collaboration with the commercial team, maintaining a deep understanding of corporate and third party Alberta electricity market outlooks and electricity offtake contracts
- Developing strong relationships across the business, especially with respect to operations to ensure a strong understanding of operational drivers and opportunities
- Understanding and incorporating appropriate operations, commercial, financing, accounting, and tax considerations into the financial model
- Participating in project evaluations, monitoring underlying economic assumptions and recommending changes when appropriate
- Creating reports, financial presentations and detailed financial analysis for presentation to the Senior Leadership Team and Board of Directors
- Special projects as assigned
What you must have:
- Bachelor’s degree in one of the following: Economics, Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, Engineering or another quantitative discipline
- 10+ years’ experience in strategic planning, budget planning, investment banking, research or other relevant industry experience
- A professional designation including a CPA, CFA, P.Eng. and/or MBA
- Experience in financial modelling of energy assets (Power, Oil and Gas, or Midstream) is required
- Excellent oral and written communications skills for the preparation and dissemination of materials to external stakeholders (investor communications, financial updates, reporting, presentations etc.)
- Ability to translate commercial agreements or terms sheets into financial models
- Ability to balance multiple priorities and projects in a detailed and organized fashion, think independently and work collaboratively
- Excellent research and analytical skills, advanced Excel and financial modeling, presentation and PowerPoint capabilities
- Ability to evaluate extremely unstructured situations, multiple variable problems, and scenario analysis
- Demonstrated business acumen, creativity, innovation and initiative
- High degree of confidentiality and judgment in dealing with sensitive information
- Proven track record of implementing process improvements and a strong understanding of financial statement accounts and their impact on forecast models.
- Must have the ability to adapt to new situations and interface with senior leadership
- Excellent strategic, critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills
- Well-developed emotional intelligence with the ability to deal effectively with organizational dynamics
Ready to join our team?
If you would like to be a power player who can contribute to the spirit of a forward thinking, proactive, agile and professional team that puts customers first. Learn more about what joining the Heartland Generation team could look like for you!
This position is located in our Devon Tower Head Office in Calgary, Alberta, and as this position is considered non-essential, such position is temporarily able to be completed by an employee remotely working from home during the COVID-19 Pandemic.
During the current COVID-19 pandemic, consistent with the guidance provided by Alberta Health Services, Heartland Generation is currently practicing physical distancing by having all non-essential employees work from home and/or remotely. When it is safe to do so, such employees will return to their regular operational location including the Devon Tower. Existing and well-documented COVID-19 Guidelines & Protocols remain in place across all Heartland Generation worksites.
If at any time you need access to the Devon Tower, your access needs will be considered and determined in consultation with your leader. At this time Heartland Generation requires all employees accessing the Devon Tower to provide proof of full vaccination prior to accessing the Devon Tower.
This position requires the satisfactory completion of background and education verification checks.
We appreciate your interest in working with us, but only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.