Senior Business Development Manager
The Senior Business Development Manager (SBDM) is responsible for identifying, developing, leading, and implementing activities and initiatives to develop new business and expand client relationships in support of the Finance & Restructuring (F&R) and Family Office Services (Wealth Management) practices. This includes working directly with the Business Development Director, Chief Marketing and Business Development Officer, and practice group leaders to develop and execute clear marketing strategies and business plans, growing and initiating relationships with specific clients, leading the RFP process, and directing cross-discipline efforts in partnership with other members of the Business Development team. Ideally, the SBDM will come to be considered an “indispensable business partner” of the practice groups’ leaders and partners.
Another key responsibility of the SBDM will be to help the direct BD report, the Associate Business Development Manager (ABDM), to gain greater in-depth industry knowledge and a more extensive understanding of how BD plays a role in retaining and growing practice group revenue – thereby preparing the ABDM for promotion to a Business Development Manager (BDM) role.
- Identifies, strategizes and executes business development, marketing, and client initiatives for attorneys and practice groups, including campaigns, targeting initiatives, and specific client development strategies.
- Develops and leverages deep sector, client, and practice knowledge alongside group leadership to identify targets and support go-to-market strategy including goal generation and execution, tracking lead flow and cross selling opportunities.
- Participates actively in the strengthening of relationships with clients, prospective clients, and intermediaries/referral sources – including interacting directly with these contacts.
- Drives opportunities for new business through client teams.
- Keeps abreast of key practice group and industry developments to develop and maximize opportunities including production of marketing materials and content, podcasts, events, and client opportunities and outreach.
- Is responsible for ensuring that the practices’ web presence and BD/Marketing materials are relevant, timely, differentiating, and impactful.
- Manages the client pitch pursuits and client presentations for new Firm business and proposal content development.
- Produces and attends Firm-sponsored events, conferences and trade shows. Owns the process from conception through completion and works with practice group leaders to identify appropriate speaking and sponsorship opportunities that align with business development goals.
- Plans and participates in practice group, client team, and industry meetings.
- Identifies and oversees the development of relevant directory submissions and rankings in appropriate publications, maximizing these efforts and group visibility.
- Proactively partners with Business Intelligence Manager to provide practice group attorneys with an ongoing understanding of the competitive landscape (including shifts in the competitive landscape).
- Develops strong and responsive relationships with practice group leaders and management.
- Becomes a trusted mentor to direct report (ABDM), helping to identify gaps and provide opportunities for
continued learning and career development – leading to the promotion of the ABDM to BDM.
- Works collaboratively with all other Marketing Department members to achieve the Firm’s marketing and business development objectives and goals, as well as other Firm wide initiatives.
- Exhibits an entrepreneurial, can-do spirit.
- Possesses a curious nature, with a strong desire for continuous learning and growth.
- Uses leadership skills to establish effective working relationships and build consensus in order to meet or
exceed department standards and Firm objectives.
- Has strong capabilities in, and understanding of, strategic marketing.
- Encourages innovative thinking and the exercise of sound judgment to achieve results.
- Brings energy and enthusiasm to the department and the practice groups.
- Maintains active lines of communication within and between departments to share knowledge and support collaborative efforts, organizational change, and goal achievement.
- Motivates others to attain their highest levels of achievement, productivity, and work satisfaction.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, preferably in marketing or public relations. MBA, CFP, CFA, JD, CIMA, CPWA, or CPA a plus.
- 10+ of experience in law firm, investment advisory, or other professional services marketing/business development supporting investment advisory, lending, and/or other transactional practices.
- Proficient in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint). Experience with proposal generation system and/or desktop publishing is required.
- Strong written and oral communication skills. Exceptional writing and editing skills, project management capabilities, as well as the ability to work effectively under tight deadlines.
- Strong business acumen.
- Strong leadership qualities and have the ability to work in a team.
- Passion for dealing professionally with both internal and external clients on all levels.
- Strong project execution skills and a positive client service attitude.
- Grace under pressure, solid judgement, discretion, and trustworthiness.
- Must have minimal physical mobility. Position may occasionally require standing, walking, reaching, and lifting up to 15 pounds.
- Must have the ability to operate equipment such as a computer and copy machine.
- Must have the ability to communicate clearly and to read and follow detailed instructions.
- Must have the ability to prepare assorted documents and other related materials.