Investment Research Analyst
3 days left
SouthernSun Asset Management, established in 1989, is a research-driven investment management firm implementing U.S. Small Cap Equity and SMID Cap Equity investment strategies. We manage assets for high net-worth clients, public pensions, unions, nonprofits, and corporations.
We believe our greatest assets are our people, so we believe that excellence in execution and a healthy organization are inextricably linked. Our firm seeks to attain superior long-term returns for our clients, outstanding client support, seamless error-free operations, a culture of compliance, and a healthy and inclusive work environment for our employees. Additionally, we are actively engaged, individually and corporately, in the Memphis community—working to help our city thrive. Our goal is a healthy and inclusive work environment for our employees. We want our employees to be lockstep in their desire for SouthernSun to excel as an investment management firm.
Therefore, we adhere to the following Core Values:
- Entrepreneurial: We foster initiative, strive to be thoughtfully adaptive, and take calculated risks within our boutique environment.
- Problem Solving: We use our analytical skills combined with the commonsense intuition of “generalists” for decision-making throughout the organization.
- Relational: We believe in the value of building relationships that are intentional and lead to positive, healthy, and respectful interactions.
- Community Centric: We are mindful that we are part of a larger community, and we work to be a good neighbor.
SouthernSun is overseen by a Management Team that has responsibility for each functional area. The Management Team sets strategic direction and seeks to provide clarity by building trust, resolving conflict, achieving commitment, requiring accountability, and driving results. We strive to accomplish our objectives and strategic direction by establishing specific goals for each team, focusing on professional development, providing appropriate incentives, and making diversity/inclusion an important aspect of our firm. In addition, we have community-centric activities to educate and engage our employee base as well as opportunities for wellness and healthy living.
Finally, we review each employee’s results in several areas throughout the year and then via a self-assessment at each year-end.
The Investment Research Analyst will support the Investment Team by conducting research and analysis of companies and industries and by performing other Investment-related processes and tasks in order to assist the Team’s decision-making processes.
- 3-5 years of prior work experience in an investment firm providing analysis or support to Portfolio Manager(s) and/or an Investment Team
- Graduate degree or CFA charterholder
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, and evaluation skills
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Self-motivated and detail-oriented
- Ability to work independently and without much direction
- Must maintain strict confidentiality
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products, specifically Excel and Word
- Develop (over time) an in-depth understanding of the SouthernSun investment philosophy and process
- Listen to earnings calls for portfolio companies and distribute notes when analyst is not available
- Maintain a list of competitors of SouthernSun’s holdings and monitor news related to each competitor
- Review and challenge model assumptions for 2-3 portfolio companies per quarter
- Responsible for new idea write-ups and initial models
- Prepare for and take notes in Investment Team Meetings
- Manage pipeline of new ideas
- Organize earnings call notes and other news for competitors or prospective companies
- Maintain journals in a collaborative research repository
- Read proxies for content and outlier information, and summarize issues for analysts
- Liaise with Client Relations in response to one-off questions and requests for information
- Create quarter-end data packets used by Investment Team when speaking with clients regarding portfolio performance
- Develop process improvements and suggest updates for investment-related activities
- Assist in the Investment Team's Risk Management processes throughout the year