Associate Portfolio Manager/Equity Analyst, Small Cap Growth
Position Title: Associate Portfolio Manager/Equity Analyst, Small Cap Growth
Peregrine Capital Management:
Headquartered in Minneapolis, Peregrine Capital Management is a boutique, employee-owned equity manager that has provided superior returns and outstanding client service to institutional clients for over three decades. With approximately $7 billion in assets under management, Peregrine offers three investment styles: actively managed Small Cap Growth, Small Cap Value and Large Cap Growth. Our clients have benefited from the stability of the investment teams, consistency of performance, integrity of their investment styles, and a culture that continues to offer stability and focus.
For additional information, visit our website at www.peregrine.com.
This position will be a member of a six-person portfolio management team and will be expected to play a key role in the continued performance and growth of the Small Cap Growth business within Peregrine Capital as well as participating in future strategies focused on growth investing.
Become part of Peregrine’s next generation of investment leadership. This is an outstanding opportunity to work in an institutionally driven investment organization and join a long tenured team as a member of the Small Cap Growth strategy within Peregrine. Over time, a successful candidate would have the opportunity to advance within the team to a full Portfolio Manager role with participation in firm ownership. The Small Cap Growth team offers an excellent 42-year performance record and is known for outstanding investment management capability and client service. Peregrine provides a non-hierarchal culture that values teamwork and operates with a streamlined focus on results. The environment offers an open management style and collegial atmosphere. The Small Cap Growth team manages over $2.2 billion in AUM, utilizing a fundamental bottom-up research approach with all team members functioning as industry generalists.
Summary of Responsibilities:
Accountable for analyzing and recommending investments for the Small Cap Growth portfolio. Requires strong fundamental research skills and a passion for equity investing. Critically assess the strategies of company management, determination of the impact on company fundamentals, and the implications for stock valuation and price performance within the context of the Small Cap Growth team’s disciplines. Understand the impact of external forces – regulation, economic activity, technological change, etc. on valuation and stock price performance.
- Join five Portfolio Managers on an established Small Cap Growth team as an Associate Portfolio Manager or Equity Analyst (based on experience) investing in small cap growth companies as a generalist.
- Identify and weigh the importance of key factors in valuation, operating performance, and catalyst/sentiment for change utilizing the Small Cap Growth team’s analytical framework designed to identify risks and opportunities
- Initiate and conduct primary investment research through one-on-one meetings with senior company management teams as well as Wall Street analysts. Travel to companies, conferences, and industry events as necessary.
- Proactively assess and communicate concisely the critical variables that will determine a company’s success or failure.
- Daily participation in active portfolio management decisions.
- Participate or lead client presentations for existing clients and for new business opportunities in conjunction with the business development team.
- Minimum experience of 7 years of public equity investing on the buy side or a combination of buy and sell sides.
- Proven track record of consistent, competitive investment performance, and implementation skills utilizing a fundamental investment approach is preferred.
- Previous history analyzing small cap or mid cap growth stocks is highly preferred.
- Previous experience and grounding in fundamental analysis including proprietary modeling.
- In-depth understanding and identification of multiple business models, conducting fundamental research (both qualitative and quantitative), and applying conclusions to valuation models.
- Above average verbal/written communication and presentation skills and a confident business style. The ability to make investment presentations to existing and potential institutional clients.
- Willingness and interest in collaborating in a team environment utilizing a long-standing investment process and contributing to the expansion of Peregrine Capital’s equity management capabilities.
- Willingness and desire to engage in critical debate and embrace alternative viewpoints. Confident enough to develop, propose and defend outside-the-box or contrarian viewpoints.
- An undergraduate degree is required, CFA and/or MBA is preferred.
- Relocation to Minneapolis is preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
- Peregrine is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, alienage or national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, disability or handicap, sex, marital status, familial status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, arrest record , public assistance, local human rights commission activity or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. Our management team is dedicated to this policy with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities and general treatment during employment.
To apply, please submit a resume and any additional material you deem relevant to evaluating your qualifications for this position to firstname.lastname@example.org