Associate Portfolio Manager, Global Equity
Job Description and Duties
The CalSTRS Investments Branch is seeking an experienced individual to work as an Associate Portfolio Manager in the Global Equity unit.
The Global Equity Unit is the largest asset class in the investment portfolio and is dedicated to maximizing the risk-adjusted returns to meet CalSTRS obligation to pay benefits. The Global Equity unit is responsible for managing three main programs: core, developing manager and other programs. The portfolio is managed both internally and externally using passive and active strategies across the U.S., Developed Non-U.S. and Emerging Markets. The portfolio is diversified across market capitalization, style, region and investment strategy.
Under the general direction of the Portfolio Manager, the Associate Portfolio Manager is primarily responsible for all transition management activities and managing internally managed equity index portfolios in accordance with approved policies, procedures and guidelines. The incumbent provides independent analysis and consultation regarding development and implementation of various risk management, investment program strategies, processes and controls consistent with policies and procedures, using all available resources to meet objectives. The incumbent will consult on, recommend, and participate in the implementation of asset allocation among various types of investments consistent with policies and procedures.
Responsibilities of the Associate Portfolio Manager include:
- Managing all aspects of transition management from initial planning through target portfolio creation.
- Managing, developing, and implementing CalSTRS’ internally managed equity index portfolios in a risk-controlled manner to meet portfolio return objectives within the risk and return parameters defined by approved Board polices.
- Acting as the primary contact for audits involving Global Equity.
- Acting as a lead and resource to mentor Investment staff in improving their analysis, project management and written skills.
This position is eligible for incentive compensation and has a maximum incentive opportunity of 50% of base salary.
An Associate Portfolio Manager who possesses a professional certification in one of the following designations: Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Certified Commercial Investment Member (CCIM), Financial Risk Manager (FRM), Certified Investment Management Analyst (CIMA) or Chartered Alternative Investment Analysts (CAIA) may receive a 5% monthly base pay differential. Only one 5% base pay differential is eligible regardless of the number of certifications.
In addition to evaluating each candidate's relative ability, as demonstrated by quality and breadth of experience, the following factors will provide the basis for competitively evaluating each candidate:
- Undergraduate or advanced degree in Statistics, Finance, Business, Economics or a closely related field
- CFA, CAIA, or other industry certification
- Experience with equity portfolio management
- Knowledge of transition management process
- Strong interpersonal skills
- High attention to detail
- Ability to exercise initiative and flexibility
- Ability to coordinate and effectively manage business relationships
- Ability to present information clearly, both orally and in writing, to a wide range of audiences
- Ability to effectively analyze information to develop and present appropriate recommendations
- Ability to work independently, prioritize workload, and meet deadlines
- Ability to interact with various levels of internal and external professionals with tact and diplomacy
- Ability to work effectively as an individual and as part of a team to support team, unit, and Investments Branch goals
CalSTRS offers a competitive pay schedule and a work-life-balance for all its employees. The State of California provides comprehensive benefits packages determined by the employee’s bargaining unit and conditions of employment. Some benefits include:
- Alternative work schedules
- Flexible work hours
- Remote work options
- Medical benefits, including health, dental and vision insurance
- Paid holidays and a defined benefit retirement program
- More than four weeks of vacation/sick leave for leaders
- More than three weeks of vacation/sick leave for staff
- Health insurance in retirement
- Employee Assistance Program
- Loan forgiveness under the federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program
For the latest information on the benefits offered by the state of California, explore the Health Benefits Summary provided by CalHR.
More searches like this
- Portfolio Management: Alternatives Government jobs in Full Time
- Portfolio Management: Equities Government jobs in Full Time
- Portfolio Management: Fixed Income Government jobs in Full Time
- Portfolio Management: Multi-Asset Government jobs in Full Time
- Private Equity/Venture Capital Government jobs in Full Time