Associate Director of Research
Diamond Hill is continuing to recruit, interview and onboard candidates virtually in the COVID-19 environment. Our primary concern is the safety and well-being of our associates; therefore, most employees are working from home at the current time.
At Diamond Hill, our goal is to be an exceptional active investment boutique that our clients trust to deliver excellent long-term investment outcomes from a team aligned with their success. We seek energetic, team-oriented, versatile candidates with the desire to be part of a growing and dynamic organization.
We embrace our differences while sharing common values:
- Curiosity: open-mindedness, mental agility, introspection, tenacity, feedback-driven
- Ownership: accountability, responsibility, autonomy, long-term, entrepreneurial
- Trust: Ethical, honest, integrity, authentic
- Respect: Humility, approachable, diversity, supportive, empathetic, transparency
Associate Director of Research
People are Diamond Hill’s greatest asset, and investment research is the foundation of our firm. We’re seeking an Associate Director of Research who is passionate about supporting and developing people, in particular, our domestic equity research analysts and associates. This role will report to the Director of Research.
Investment Team Development and Retention
In conjunction with the Director of Research:
- Continue to provide mentorship and development opportunities for associate and analyst pool by:
- Helping to facilitate trust and build relationships with portfolio managers
- Providing opportunities of additional coverage areas
- Acting as a third-party resource that can review, provide feedback, and risk considerations to thesis, earnings notes, and other documents
- Working closely with analysts and associates to provide clarity around future career paths and development opportunities
- Responsible for performance measurement of analyst team and using performance management techniques to support and coach analysts and associates.
- Provide compensation input on team members to the CIO.
- Work closely with the CIO and CPO on succession planning including identifying talent needs and gaps and providing ongoing assessment of research teams’ skills and capabilities.
- Lead by example and provide guidance, coaching and feedback to equity associate and analyst team where necessary.
- Seek regular feedback from the CIO to continually improve the relationship between the research team and portfolio managers.
- Complete annual evaluation of the Russell 3000 coverage list to evaluate coverage lists for each member on the research team.
- Behave in accordance with Diamond Hill’s expectations of people managers, and serve as a champion for the team, publicly and privately.
Enhancement and Education Projects
- Think through and, if necessary, act upon industry trends and communicate how they should impact the research team (ESG, for example.)
- Support research team budget tracking and maintain relationships with outside research providers.
- Enhance and maintain internal research models and processes.
- Participate in calls and meetings with clients, as necessary.
- Work with the RFP team as necessary to ensure consistent communication to existing and potential clients.
- Facilitate internal education on investment ideas through presenting at company lunches, hosting small group meetings, etc.
- Maintain and enhance investment knowledge through continuing education and daily interaction with the investment team.
Investment Talent Attraction
- Help determine team resources (number of team members, structure, roles) in conjunction with the Director of Research.
- Assist in leading the recruitment process for high potential team members as needed, including interviewing potential candidates, and participating in learning events for students at local universities.
- Help build diverse and inclusive teams in which different perspectives, backgrounds, and skills are embraced to improve idea generation and client outcomes.
Evaluate and Monitor Current Investment Holdings
- Conduct due diligence on company and industry trends through reviewing media and research reports, quarterly calls, SEC filings, and industry conferences.
- Create and maintain financial models, including the use of the proprietary Diamond Hill Investment Model (DHIM).
- Synthesize and assess financial and industry data.
Support the Generation of New Investment Ideas
- Identify, evaluate, and recommend investment ideas (long and short) utilizing a long-term, intrinsic value-based approach to investment research.
- Position is also responsible for understanding and complying with the firm’s human resources policies, Compliance Program policies, Information Security policies, and various other policies and procedures as applicable.
- Responsibilities for each role outlined above are subject to change, and percentage of time allocated to each may vary as position evolves.
- 5+ years of experience in a deep research/financial advisory and valuation capacity.
- 2+ years of leadership experience with people management experience strong preferred.
- Desire to continuously improve leadership skills, seek and convey feedback and pursue management training opportunities.
- Understanding and appreciation of our intrinsic value-based investment philosophy.
- Effective interpersonal skills.
- Ability to manage, prioritize, and complete multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to navigate stressful situations while focused on being an active listener and pragmatic problem solver.
- Strong analytical and valuation/modeling skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree with a strong academic background required. MBA or other advanced degree preferred.
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation required.
Diamond Hill offers competitive compensation and benefits, as well as a meaningful opportunity to make an impact. We offer a remarkable 401(k) match program, and all of our associates receive a new hire stock grant to ensure they feel like an owner—because they are.
Diamond Hill associates enjoy a working environment that supports professional and personal growth, thereby improving employee satisfaction, the productivity of the firm, and most meaningfully, the experience of our clients.
Since our founding, aligning our interests directly with the clients we serve has been imperative. Inherent in this alignment is a passion for excellence enabling us to exceed client expectations. To achieve this level of excellence, it is important our compensation philosophy attract, retain and motivate associates who embody our values, act like owners and advocate for client outcomes.
Diamond Hill is an equal opportunity employer. Decisions on hiring and promotion are based only upon the individual’s ability to perform the job and dependability once hired. Race, color, religion, creed, gender, age, pregnancy, sexual orientation, ethnic or national origin, or ancestry, military/veteran status, tenure, genetic information, or disability are not considered in decisions of employment, benefits, or advancement.