Portfolio Manager - Real Estate
Department: Americas Real Estate
Location: New York Office
Title: Portfolio Manager
Reports to: Managing Director, Head of Americas Real Assets
At APG we focus on the future: sustainable, long-term returns that enable our Dutch pension fund clients and their participants to enjoy a good retirement in a livable world now and for generations to come. As one of the largest pension fiduciaries in the world, we carefully consider risk, return, and cost in balance with the social and sustainability performance of each investment we make. APG invests €612 billion (July 2021) globally, with USD $148.1 billion of that (June 2021) managed out of APG Asset Management US Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary located in New York City. Our 168 professionals in New York invest across the public and private markets in the Americas.
For more information about APG, visit www.apg.nl/en
About the Role
• Originate, negotiate, and structure APG’s real estate investments with the goal of generating benchmark out-performance (alpha), within acceptable risk tolerance.
• Actively manage existing investments by working with and challenging equity partners and fund managers, serving on (advisory) boards of investee businesses and funds, and, analyzing and monitoring general real estate as well as related capital market conditions.
• Contribute to critical reviews of investments managed by other portfolio managers to ensure that the investments are being effectively monitored and that asset returns are being maximized based upon the agreed investment objectives.
• Risk manage investments.
• Manage the investment disposition process for value maximization.
• Partner with APG back office in maintaining up-to-date and complete performance data for portfolio investments.
• Attend industry conferences and participate on panels to facilitate information flow and investment opportunities.
• Explore and expand the network of other major institutional investors, industry partners, investment advisers, and fund managers to develop investment opportunities and best practices for infrastructure investing activities.
• Manage and mentor real estate analysts.
• Otherwise fulfill PM obligations under the APG Investment Process and Investment Management Process.
• Assist Head of Americas Real Estate in preparing board presentations and formulating investment strategy and policies, including fund characteristics of the Americas portfolio.
• Contribute to the on-going portfolio construction research with a view of updating capital allocation targets (top-down) and proactively identifying relevant market trends and developments (bottom-up);
• Contribute to liaison with global colleagues in Amsterdam and Hong Kong to exchange ideas and facilitate best investment practices.
• At least 7 years of relevant working experience.
• Generalist mindset with strong analytical skills and ability to act in an entrepreneurial setting decisively, yet in a disciplined manner.
• University degree in real estate, economics or business studies. MBA and/or CFA would be an asset.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Must be proactive and a team player.
Compensation: Based on experience.
If interested, please send your resume and cover letter (including compensation expectations) to email@example.com
APG Asset Management US Inc. (APG) is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, age, sex, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, national origin, disability or handicap, veteran status, sexual orientation or any other classification protected by applicable law.