Portfolio Manager, Global Equity & Income Team
IGM Financial Inc. is one of Canada's premier financial services companies, and one of the country's largest managers and distributors of investment funds and other managed asset products, with over $265 billion in total assets under management as of July 31, 2021. Its activities are carried out principally through Investors Group Inc., Mackenzie Financial Corporation and Investment Planning Counsel Inc.
We are focused on the long-term strength and stability of our companies and recognize these as core responsibilities to our clients and shareholders as we adapt and lead in an ever-changing world.
Why should you join the IGM family?
- Be part of a winning culture!
- Your opportunity to develop and work with smart, highly capable leaders who are passionate and innovative
- A genuine commitment to diversity and inclusion, through public goals, a variety of external partnerships/employee groups and an inclusive environment
- A fulfilling employee experience – we offer competitive terms, a collaborative/respectful way of working and connect strongly with our community
As a valued member of the GE&I Team within the Mackenzie Investments business, you will have the opportunity to be a part of a distinct investment boutique within Mackenzie that currently is responsible for over CAD$12 billion in AUM. Over the past 7.5 years, the Team has built a reputation for prudently growing our clients’ capital over time, offering excellent risk-adjusted returns by focusing on a select universe of companies that we consider leaders in their respective industries. We are long-term investors first and foremost, and not constrained to a particular style “box”. All members of the Team feel passionately about the importance of their role in helping unitholders achieve their long-term financial objectives.
The Team works collaboratively, with every member having a voice at the table. We are empowered by independent thought - we value and seek out different perspectives; we engage constructively in the pursuit of excellence in analysis.
We are looking for an individual with a record of achievement and who enjoys being part of a team. The ideal candidate is curious and creative with proven analytical skills. The person leverages exceptional communication skills to be effective in a demanding environment and to convey perspectives. The candidate is open-minded to differing views and has a willingness to learn from others. The successful candidate is a self-starter, capable of efficiently managing their own time and has a deeply seeded desire to win.
The primary focus of this role on the GE&I team will be specializing in Pan-Asian equities. He/she/they will be a generalist and expected to analyze businesses across multiple sectors. Initially the priorities will be to familiarize themselves with our current Asian holdings, and over time will contribute to idea generation and holding maintenance. Key responsibilities will include:
- Conducting in-depth company and industry research to establish and maintain a watch list of investable companies.
- Present research findings to the Team in an easily consumable way that generates strong team-wide understanding.
- Embrace the Team methodology of analysis and communication to facilitate comparability of work across the Team.
- Provide investment ideas that help meet the holistic performance objectives and desired risk characteristics of the Fund.
- Take ownership for holdings within their coverage, providing updates to the Team as needed and communicating any required actions.
- Contribute to portfolio construction discussions to help ensure a balance of upside participation and downside protection can be met
- Contribute to an environment of continuous improvement.
- Promote our boutique’s investment philosophy and values through client presentations, written commentaries, and engagement with internal and external stakeholders.
The following qualifications will assist the successful candidate:
- Buy-side experience highly preferred
- Top tier outside industry or consulting experience will be considered
- Intellectual curiosity and deep analytical skills
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- 3+ years of industry experience. Quality of experience is more important than years.
- Experience with Asian and/or global equities
- Fluency in Mandarin would be ideal
- Japanese language skills would also be a plus
- CFA Charterholder
If you are interested in applying for this position, please direct applications on-line using the “apply for this job” icon located at the bottom or to the left of the posting. If you would like to refer someone for the position, please email the posting using the “email this job” option and have your referral indicate that they were referred by you when completing the application. All resumes should be received by September 15, 2021 . If you have any questions regarding this position, please contact Human Resources. Please record your extension number on your resume and cover letter. This position is a career level D10.
We thank all applicants for their interest in Mackenzie Investments; however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Mackenzie Investments offers an exciting and challenging work environment, a competitive base salary, performance-based bonuses, excellent benefits, recognition for your accomplishments, and opportunities for personal and professional growth.
Mackenzie Investments is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing employment accommodations in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility of Ontarians with Disabilities Act. Please advise Human Resources if you require an accommodation.