Job Title: Investment Analyst
ABOUT OUR COMPANY
“Powering Economies and Communities”
TransAlta owns, operates, and develops a diverse fleet of electrical generation assets in Canada, the United States and Australia, providing municipalities, industries and businesses with safe, low-cost and reliable clean electricity. For over 100 years, TransAlta has been a responsible operator and proud community-member where its employees work and live. We are committed to fostering a dynamic, productive, and safe work environment. Our employees contribute to a diverse, open, and transparent culture with clear accountabilities, strong leadership, and challenging opportunities for personal career growth.
For more information about TransAlta, visit our website at, www.transalta.com
We are currently seeking a full-time Investment Analyst to join our Growth team in Calgary, Alberta. Reporting to the Manager, Investment Analysis, the Investment Analyst supports TransAlta’s strategic growth efforts and planning needs for the existing generation portfolio. The Investment Analyst delivers the analytics and financial modeling to underpin investment decisions and other strategic opportunities. The role supports internal teams on evaluating commercial, operational and business initiatives for both new and existing assets. The Investment Analysis position offers an excellent opportunity to be a key contributor in the growth of TransAlta’s business and advancing TransAlta’s strategy of becoming a low cost, low emissions power generation company.
- Performing timely, accurate and comprehensive financial analysis of growth opportunities, including potential acquisitions and business development projects.
- Creating and updating economic models of existing TransAlta assets
- Preparing project overviews, and presentations of results.
- Performing ad hoc analysis, including the creation of financial models and analysis of business trends to support the growth of the business.
- Delivering accurate analyses of corporate impacts of investment decisions for both TransAlta and TransAlta Renewables.
- Ensuring consistency in approach and output for all corporate financial modelling.
- Working within a team to revise and update analyses as parameters of a deal change.
- Providing support where necessary for presentations to senior management and the board.
- Degree and/or professional designation in finance, economics, or business.
- Completion of or working towards a CFA considered an asset.
- 3-5 years of experience in financial or investment analysis preferred.
- Advanced Excel skills supported by experience in financial modeling.
- Well-developed understanding of valuation techniques and financial metrics that generate value for TransAlta.
- Accounting knowledge would also be an asset.
- Strong business acumen, analysis, interpretation, and decision-making skills.
- Ability to handle multiple projects at various stages.
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to develop working relationships with people at all organizational levels.
- Flexible, ability to learn quickly, and ability to adapt to changing work assignments and priorities.
Our comprehensive and flexible benefits, competitive compensation, incentive, and rewards programs form the foundation of TransAlta’s excellent employment proposition.
Come on board!
Our commitment is to attract and retain the best talent. Some positions may require the successful completion of one or more background checks such as criminal, medical, or compliance. If these verifications are needed, they will be indicated on the job posting.