Investment Research Analyst
The team’s mission is to empower investment decisions within the Harbor Investments Group by leveraging data and enhancing analytical processes to generate innovative insights. This is accomplished through the combination of continuously evolving internal data sets and analytical capabilities, external data sets and tools, and an innovative mindset. The team is charged with producing robust and timely reporting, continuous analytical process enhancements, and applying new industry technologies to enhance decision making.
The Investment Research Analyst will be primarily responsible for supporting four main functions within the broader Investments Group:
- Investments Research Team or “IRT” (external manager research, manager due diligence)
- Investments Specialist Team or “IST” (product specialists)
- Product Strategy & Management Team or “Product” (product management and product development)
- Multi Asset Solutions Group or “MAST” (internal portfolio management team)
The Investment Research Analyst will also assist in generating custom analytics and insights for Harbor’s Distribution team to share with Harbor’s clients and prospects.
General Team Responsibilities
- Support the four investment functions listed above (IRT, MAST, IST, and Product) through evaluation and application of investment, financial, economic, and/or statistical data.
- Develop and articulate insights using qualitative and quantitative inputs from discussions with portfolio management teams, other researchers, market data, analytical tools, and databases.
- Proactively search for new and enhanced methods for identifying, evaluating, and communicating sources of alpha from active management.
Key Position Responsibilities
- Become proficient in various analytical tools and produce robust quantitative and qualitative analyses on the investment performance and characteristics of current and prospective subadvisers.
- Aid Senior Analysts and Research Directors in preparation of analyses on prospective subadvisors and underwriting of current subadvisors.
- Participate in due diligence research meetings with current and prospective subadvisers.
- Use analytical and performance measurement tools to compare portfolios and performance relative to market indices and relevant peer groups
- Collaborate with IST and Distribution teams to produce custom analyses of our funds relative to competitor funds for use in client presentations
- Produce quarterly reports for use by Harbor’s board of directors and internal investment committees
- Assist Research Directors in preparation of thematic research materials and ad hoc fund specific content to be used in webinars and client communications.
- Produce robust analyses on the investment performance and characteristics of current subadvisers to support IST client retention and prospecting calls.
- Work with Product to enhance industry level score cards and help design new product specifications.
- Work to enhance consistent assessments of the business and investment rationales for new product initiatives.
- Assist in being the go-to group for management to provide data / insight related to corporate product questions and aid in the decision-making process
Key Behavioral Expectations
Drives for Results
- Demonstrates strong business results focus and shared vision for Harbor’s goals.
- Executes on deliverables aligned with Harbor's vision and strategy.
- Embodies a sense of urgency and accountability for results.
Agility & Adaptability
- Adapts style and communication based on circumstances and stakeholder needs.
- Demonstrates confidence for data and technology leading to more agile and efficient results.
Communication & Engagement
- Engages stakeholders through effective communication.
- Expresses recommendations with clarity and confidence.
- Strong academic credentials - Bachelor’s Degree or higher required.
- Good understanding of how active management fits into the asset management industry and intellectual curiosity to continue to build out a deep knowledge of the industry.
- CFA or CFA candidate, preferred.
- Demonstrated experience and skill in organizing, analyzing, and communicating data.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities Required
The ideal candidate will be an intelligent, energetic, outcome-oriented, conceptual thinker with the ability to quickly assess a situation and exercise sound business judgment. The candidate must possess an innate curiosity to immerse themself in all aspects of Harbor Capital’s business and be sufficiently flexible to work on a variety of initiatives in a range of different functions, often at the same time.
- Proactive attitude and desire to work in an evolving, flexible, and entrepreneurial team within a diverse, structured, and growing investments group.
- Desire to work in a fast paced and constantly changing environment.
- Team oriented with strong intra- and cross-departmental communication skills. Ability to effectively communicate and excel in either an in-person or virtual team environment.
- Curious and comfortable in exploring answers to open-ended questions.
- Strong analytics skills and knowledge of quantitative analysis essential. Strong statistics knowledge is desirable.
- Excellent Excel proficiency is essential. Factset, Python/R, database, and/or Tableau experience is a plus.
- Exceptional communication skills with an ability to consistently express ideas and develop engagement through various methods (PowerPoint, email, individual conversations, etc.).
- Project management experience or interest is a plus.