Investment Performance Analyst
Investment Risk and Analytical Services (IRAS) provides Investment Performance and Risk Measurement reporting and analysis, Compliance Guideline Monitoring, and Private Markets reporting and analysis across the Corporate pension funds, Public Funds, Foundations and Endowments, Wealth Management, Global Family Office, Sovereign Wealth Funds and Investment Management client segments. IRAS utilizes a suite of both proprietary and vendor reporting applications to deliver a broad range of investment analysis from rates of return and attribution analysis to risk modelling and guideline monitoring. This analysis supports the end to end investment management process through the planning, monitoring, measurement and evaluation stages. IRAS works in tandem with multiple operational and client service focused groups across Northern Trust.
The IRAS Associate uses specific knowledge of the investment analytics and client-servicing disciplines to achieve goals through own work. Has specific knowledge of financial markets and financial concepts, typically gained through formal education and/or equivalent work experience. Uses expertise to provide guidance to others. Requires conceptual knowledge of theories, practices, and procedures within a job discipline. Performs routine assignments using existing procedures. Receives instruction, guidance and direction from more senior level roles.
The role primarily works with asset managers external to Northern Trust but could also involve special projects within the broader IRAS group. The candidate will be required to navigate clients ex-post performance setups and attribution models. The ideal candidate will possess a fine balance between client servicing and breaking down performance calculations so that our clients understand their outcome.
• Uses existing procedures to solve standard problems; analyzes information and standard practices to make judgments
• Works within standardized procedures and practices to achieve objectives and meet deadlines
• Owns high touch client relationships that subscribe to complex reporting and supports senior partners on clients of varying complexity, (independently evaluating and responding to client inquiries, determining service requirements, providing training, producing client reporting, and helping clients interpret financial metrics to understand the impact of their investment decisions)
• Regularly interfaces with senior staff at Northern Trust and/or client offices (CIOs, Portfolio Managers, Directors of Investments), with occasional oversight from more senior partner
• Identifies process improvements and implements solutions with support of more senior team members
• Works with internal operations and client servicing partners to problem solve client issues and requests to ensure accuracy and timeliness of all information provided to clients
• Independently produces custom reporting, and executes client projects with limited oversight
• Participates in complex client projects and provides solutions to client requests
• Requires conceptual knowledge of theories, practices and procedures within a job discipline
• Applies general knowledge of business and financial markets developed through education or past experience
• Exchanges straightforward information, asks questions and checks for understanding
• Uses insights into how the IRAS team integrates with other teams within Business Services, C&IS, and Wealth Management to coordinate efforts and resources to achieve shared and individual objectives, as well as to provide support in solving cross-practice problems
• Expected to use judgement to make decisions without seeking approval
• Accountable for own contributions
• Bachelor’s degree, preferably in business, finance, statistics, technology or related field
• Some relevant experience in investment analysis or trust-investment related background, investments operations, client-servicing, or transferable experience from a related field
• Interest in, or progress towards CFA, CIPM, CAIA or other investments-related professional designation is a plus
• Excellent business judgment is required in order to quickly assess a situation and proactively develop solutions to complex client needs
• Use of Microsoft Office tools, advanced Excel skills preferred
• Exposure to Northern Trust or third party financial software is a plus
• Strong organizational, written, and verbal client servicing skills
• Excellent time management and multi-tasking skills
About Northern Trust:
Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally. With over 130 years of financial experience and nearly 20,000 partners, we serve the world’s most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
Working with Us:
As a Northern Trust partner, you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve!
We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience, which is why we are honored to receive the following awards in 2021:
•Gender Equality Index Member, Bloomberg
•Top Financial & Banking Company, Black EOE Journal, Hispanic Network Magazine, Professional WOMAN'S Magazine
We’d love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of America’s best banks and most sustainable companies! Build your career with us and apply today.