Associate Portfolio Manager, Mid Cap Value
We exist to help people achieve financial clarity. At Thrivent, we believe money is a tool, not a goal. Driven by a higher purpose at our core, we are committed to providing financial advice, investments, insurance, banking and generosity programs to help people make the most of all they’ve been given.
At our heart, we are a membership-owned fraternal organization, as well as a holistic financial services organization, dedicated to serving the unique needs of our clients. We focus on their goals and priorities, guiding them toward financial choices that will help them live the life they want today—and tomorrow.
The Associate Portfolio Manager, Mid Cap Value follows and understands drivers of competitive position of companies within assigned industries. Identifies sources and sustainability of competitive advantage. Understands the drivers of growth within assigned industries. Critically assesses the strategies of company management and the implications for stock price performance. Understands the impact of external forces on assigned industries – regulation, economic activity, raw materials, labor, technological change, etc. Develops a sophisticated level of expertise in assigned industries and understands industry-specific financial statement reporting issues.
Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Work with analysts to develop an analytical framework designed to systematically identify risks and opportunities in assigned industries. Identify and weight the importance of key factors in at least three areas: valuation, operating performance, and catalyst/sentiment.
- Assess and communicate concisely the critical variables that will determine a company’s success or failure, in a manner that stimulates action.
- Initiate and conduct research relating to investment suitability by developing a network of Wall Street analysts and, most importantly, contacts within industries, such as private company competitors, consultants, suppliers, customers, trade journals reporters, headhunters, retired employees, etc.
- Work with analysts to project financial statements and valuation targets. Monitor assigned companies and constantly reassess investment merits.
Attributes of Success
- Stock-selection decisions that consistently add value versus benchmarks and quantitative models.
- A passion for excellence, an ability to admit mistakes and learn from them, and a willingness to modify the related investment framework to avoid them in the future.
- Provide feedback to investment staff on ways to improve equity group operations.
- Use all available technological resources to maximize efficiency.
Required Job Qualifications
- Undergraduate degree required; MBA and/or CFA preferred.
- Minimum five years sell- or buy-side equity research/portfolio management experience preferred.
- Work experience covering health care or technology preferred.
- Management consulting or other operating/financial management experience will be considered.
Thrivent provides Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable local, state, or federal law. This policy applies to all employees and job applicants.
Thrivent is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation, please let us know by sending an email to email@example.com or call 800-847-4836 and request Human Resources.