Investment Officer III
Head of Public Markets
Summary of Duties:
The Investment Officer III is responsible for the administration and implementation of the management of the LAFPP Plan Investment Program, and any staff assigned thereto. An Investment Officer III is immediately responsible for the investment staff oversight and administration of all projects including asset allocation, risk management and asset classes such as: Fixed Income, Domestic or International Equities; Private Equity; Real Assets including Private Real Estate; Credit Opportunities and Commodities; Hedge Funds. The Investment Officer III will be responsible for the coordination, preparation and review of staff reports for quality and completeness and will perform other duties related to the overall management of the division. Reports directly to the Chief Investment Officer.
Examples of Duties:
- Assists with the management of the asset portfolio and recommends investment philosophies, policies and strategies to optimize or maximize risk-adjusted returns, manage and reduce risk, monitor cash flows to ensure sufficient liquidity, reduce costs and recommend investment-related strategic goals
- Assists with the oversight and monitoring of the asset allocation procedures to accomplish fund financial objectives
- Assists with the recommendation and negotiation of contracts and amendments for contracts of investment management firms and consultants, including evaluating and negotiating costs, compensation structure, content of requests of proposals, and selections of investment management firms for possible contracting
- Assists with monitoring the performance of all asset class investment managers to benchmarks and peer group, and reports on any exceptional events
- Assists is monitoring the capital markets and economic forecasts, and provides reports with on-going analysis of global economic conditions as it relates to the investment portfolio
- Experience leading Public Markets teams investing across the Globe.
- Led teams across different industries, investment styles and/or geographies
- Experience with strategic asset allocation and tactical overlay strategies
- Confidence and poise when interacting with internal and external stakeholders and Board of LAFPP
- Degree in Finance, Economics, or Mathematics, MBA, CFA and/or CAIA preferred. Direct public market (Equity, Fixed Income and Cash) portfolio construction, portfolio management and risk management experience preferred. 5 years of experience in institutional pension investing with knowledge of basic concepts and practical application of public market assets and management; asset allocation, portfolio rebalancing, domestic and non-US equity, fixed income markets, credit opportunities, private equity, real assets including private real estate, and other alternative asset investment strategies or trading at the level of Investment Officer II, is highly desirable.
- Graduation from a recognized four year college or university; and three years experience in a public agency, commercial bank, investment banking firm, or brokerage firm with responsibilities for the purchasing or selling of money-market instruments, cash management analysis, and analysis of short-term investments and economic forecasting; or four years of experience in investment analysis, financial analysis, institutional investing or consulting, performing portfolio management, securities research or analysis, or account administration on behalf of tax exempt clients.