Principal - Asset Management, Center for Climate Aligned Finance
Are you a seasoned people leader with experience in asset management and a track record of driving an equitable clean energy transition? Do you enjoy plunging into unfamiliar disciplines and testing new ideas? Are you a collaborative and strong team player who can also be a respected change agent from within? Do you have a passion for RMI’s mission? If yes, then join our growing Center for Climate-Aligned Finance!
Program and Initiative Overview
Getting to net-zero in the real economy means transitioning the asset base within carbon-intensive sectors by retiring high-carbon assets and scaling up low-carbon assets. Every sector has a role to play in the transition. Climate alignment is the new paradigm that defines the role of financial institutions in this transition. For financial institutions, climate alignment means actively pursuing climate goals by using lending and investment decisions, advisory, capital markets activities, and non-revenue generation efforts like stewardship and advocacy to move the real economy towards net-zero decarbonization pathways. While over 100 financial institutions representing $70T in assets under management have committed to transitioning their portfolios to net zero by 2050, critical challenges must be solved to make aspiration a reality. RMI launched the Center for Climate-Aligned Finance (Center) to enable aspiration and to facilitate implementation of alignment commitments. The Center is an “engine room” which brings financial institutions together with their clients and the world’s premier climate organizations to solve complex issues at the firm-, sector-, and system-level.
Key Responsibilities, Experience, and Qualifications
RMI is seeking an exceptional Principal with experience in asset management to develop and implement a compelling strategy that builds on the Center’s existing work with financial service companies and investment banks to accelerate the implementation of climate alignment action within the asset management industry. In this role you will be responsible for identifying opportunities to scale asset manager influence in the energy transition, build a strategic vision to increase the Center’s expertise and impact to this financial sector segment, and develop concrete workstreams to deliver the Center’s core goal of creating a climate-aligned financial sector. In this role, you will lead a passionate team to design convenings, thought leadership, and advisory services for asset managers, supporting the implementation of climate alignment at the firm level and shaping the financial sector operating environment at the system level.
Along with the Center’s Executive Director, this role will be responsible for building and navigating relationships with the asset management community and other key stakeholders (including regulators, policymakers, and other like-minded NGO initiatives, such as the Net Zero Asset Managers initiative). Through both collaboration and the execution of complimentary offerings, the successful Principal candidate will help ensure the Center’s work drives innovation and aspiration by identifying and applying all appropriate levers of change to accelerate the net zero transition.
As a member of the Center’s management team, you will co-lead a diverse and fast-growing team of 18-20 , co-manage the program’s budget, and support the Center’s fundraising goals.
As a principal you will have the following key responsibilities
- Develop the Center’s work to increase climate alignment within asset management firms at the firm-, sector-, and system-level
- With fellow Principals, co-manage a team of 18-20 staff comprised of managers, senior associates, associates, program coordination and support staff
- With fellow Principals, co-manage the Center’s internal operations, including budgeting, staff resourcing, and strategy development.
- Support the Center’s Executive Director to fundraise to achieve the Center’s goals.
- Scope opportunities to enable asset management firm climate alignment ambition and apply learnings through individual fee-for-service engagements
- Steer the Center’s work engaging asset managers and asset owners
- Steer the team in scoping and executing thought leadership and research
- Work hand-in-hand with our communications team to develop communications strategies
- Act as a primary relationship manager with external partners and stakeholders
- Represent RMI in external interviews, media, and publications
- 10+ years of cumulative work experience, including minimum of 8 years within the financial sector, 3+ years as a team manager, 3+ years in an asset management role, and excellent work references
- Exposure to ESG strategy development and implementation within the financial sector through prior professional experience
- A passion for and track record of building, coaching, and managing high-performing teams in a project-based work environment
- Ability to apply experience in a corporate environment to development of an impact-driven strategy that is compelling to the finance community, climate practitioners, donors, and other stakeholders
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
- A graduate degree in an applicable field such as business, finance, economics, environmental management, sustainability, or law
- Experience in both public and private markets investing
- Experience with multi-stakeholder coalition building around climate initiatives
- Demonstrated ability to pursue mission-oriented outcomes (i.e., climate action) within financial organizations, particularly in asset management firms, including knowledge of climate alignment principles, mechanisms, and methodologies
- Knowledge of policy, regulatory, and industry issues related to climate alignment in at least one large geography (i.e., Europe, North America, China, East Asia, etc.)
- Highly collaborative and a strong team player
- Proven ability to influence and catalyze change to improve climate alignment knowledge and performance within financial institutions through the application of exceptional interpersonal, relationship building, and collaboration skills
The position will remain remote through the COVID-19 pandemic. Once the COVID-19 situation improves, it is preferred that this role will be based out of one of our offices in Washington, D.C. or New York City. Additional locations, including other RMI offices, may be considered at the sole discretion of RMI. This will be discussed further throughout the interview process.
The starting Principal level salary range is $121,000 - $163,000 plus a 20% bonus target. This is based on experience that will be vetted through the interview process.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- 403b retirement options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Commuter and wellness benefits
- Casual work environment
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas, and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational institution or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.