Financial Management & Accounting Director
SmithBucklin, a 100 percent employee-owned association management company, is looking for a Director of Financial Management & Accounting to join our Financial Management & Accounting Service Unit (FMAS) in our D.C. office.
The FMAS unit provides client organizations with substantial experience, resources and proven practices in non-profit financial management, including not only a comprehensive set of accounting services, but also decision-support tools and guidance. Our financial staff includes numerous CPAs with the training and experience to deliver the highest quality financial services, which is especially crucial in today's unpredictable economic climate. Our financial management and accounting services include monthly financial reporting in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), support for yearend audit and tax filings, assisting our clients in forecasting, budgeting and cash flow reporting as well as providing financial guidance for our Executive Directors, Boards and Finance Committees.
This position reports to the VP of FMAS will be based out of our DCHQ office and has responsibility for day-to-day management of the FMAS Washington, D.C. team. This position will directly oversee the team of nine accountants. This position will also have dotted line responsibility for FMAS colleagues in the Chicago office (a total team size of 15).
- Manage the FMAS DC Unit financials, including monthly reviews with variance explanations, forecasts and budgeting for our FMAS DC revenue and staffing needs with oversight from VP of FMAS.
- Assess service delivery model and make recommendations for improvements.
- Review current internal controls, enhance and maintain highest control standards within the FMAS Unit, as well as act as liaison between Corporate Finance and FMAS coordinating monthly/quarterly internal review audits.
- Update and maintain current best practices for financial policies for core accounting functions. Ensure staff are well trained on these practices for cash receipts, accounts payable, accounts receivable, journal entries, financial statement preparation and review, and monthly bank reconciliations and ensure there is consistency between all office locations.
- Coordinate and implement best practices within larger client staff teams across the units involved in financial management functions.
CLIENT MANAGEMENT/CFO SERVICES:
- Build and nurture strong client relationships both directly and indirectly through the management of the staff teams
- For some large clients, act as their CFO directly managing their overall accounting services.
- Participate in finance committee and board calls, providing financial management and accounting expertise and support.
- Ensure quality of deliverables and compliant activities for all client accounts.
- Manage the annual client audit and tax filing process and supervise direct reports.
- Coach, mentor, and develop the Washington, D.C. FMAS team. Set expectations and manage performance of direct reports and team.
- Champion a strong team culture of engagement and inclusivity.
NEW BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT:
- Support VP of FMAS with new business development opportunities and execution.
- Assist in building strategy for new business generation.
The ideal candidate's professional journey:
- At least twelve years of relevant accounting experience (CPA required; undergraduate degree in accounting).
- Demonstrated progressive experience and supervisory experience in financial management and accounting.
- Experience working with executives and leading teams, preferably within a matrix environment and professional services/public accounting environment.
- Proven expertise in developing strategic partnerships with senior management and/or client organizations and influencing key business decisions.
- Demonstrated ability to manage financial management and accountings at both the strategic and tactical levels.
- Proven track record of establishing, implementing, and maintaining exceptional accounting controls.
- Association, Not-for-profit accounting or Board experience a plus.
Where Do You Fit?
Whether you are just beginning your career or are a mid- or senior-level professional, working at SmithBucklin will offer you countless opportunities to develop transferrable skills, acquire meaningful knowledge and gain rich experiences at an accelerated pace. By working collaboratively with smart, ambitious, multi-talented, genuine and hardworking colleagues, you will build meaningful, deep and enduring relationships that will serve you well throughout your career, regardless of your chosen path. In addition, as a 100 percent employee-owned company, SmithBucklin offers all of our people – regardless of position or compensation – an equal chance to experience the fulfillment and reap the benefits of ownership. As owners, our employees control the destiny of SmithBucklin and are unified in the goal of building a great, enduring company.
Equal Employment Opportunity
At SmithBucklin, Equal Employment Opportunity is our commitment and goal. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status or any other protected status designated by federal, state or local law. Applicants are encouraged to confidentially self-identify when applying. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a reference and background investigation based on position.
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/E5E6xVhrrpEacVePiXk7y